Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Ivy
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mid-water fish

Okay, so let me throw another question at ya. In a few weeks I will begin again in restocking my tank, I have my top and bottom water fish. I will be using glo danios and a school of panda cories. However, I need to find a good midwater community fish that likes a temp of about 75 degrees. It is important they don't get over about 21/2 inches due to the adult length of the other inhabitants. Here is the reason I need help though. My husband likes freaky or clear fish. I told him I wasn't interested in the hatchet fish and he wants the glass cats but they get too large considering they are schooling fish and I would need a bunch. Does anyone know of a good freshwater fish reference so I can find a good fish that he would appreciate? Thx for the help again

Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size tank do you have? IME, glofish occupy the middle and the top levels of the tank more than they occupy the top alone.

I can't think of many more common clear fish than glass catfish and indian glassfish, both getting too big for your prearranged size. There are various tetra species that can be considered see-through, but not many that actually are, alot more are opaque.

And unfortunately, most freaky fish are either gonna get too big and/or eat all your fish.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

blood fin tetras

they are cool fish
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Ivy

I spent quite a bit of time researching some fish he might be interested in. Your advice is good I narrowed it down to 4 species of tetra that I think he might like. There is something to be said for the old school neons and cardinals I think, my hubby wants to get a blacklight for the tank since we have glofish and I think he will appreciate the neons to go with it. He did say he would rather have a bunch of small fish vs a few big ones. Thanks again
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have diamond tetras in my tank and they are always in the middle or top of the tank. I don't think I have ever seen them at the bottom of the tank. They are really pretty once they get older, they really start to sparkle after some time. I'd have to say they are one of my favorite fish, very active when in a school.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Harlequin Rasboras are nice fish that you might consider.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Ivy

oh I haven't looked up the diamond tetras yet. Thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
My favorite small fish (for the moment) are cardinal/neon tetras and emerald eye rasboras.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Ivy

Personally, I am with you about the cardinals and neons. I hope I can get my hubby to pick those I just love having a tank, so long as they are compatible and sensible I will let him pick the fish...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com