Mini cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I changed the substrate in my tank from gravel to sand over the weekend. I realized I may cause a mini cycle doing it and I have. This morning I had nitrites at 0.25 and ammonia at 0.25. So I did a 25% water change and dosed the tank with Prime. Now today after work I'm at roughly 0.5 nitrites and 0.25 ammonia. I did a fishless cycle so cycling, even a mini one, with fish is VERY new to me. Any help would be great. I really don't want to lose any fish.

Do I change the water at a certain point? Is a 25% change enough? Should I be dosing my tank with Prime regularly until this is over?

I have never tried adding Prime unless I was also doing a water change. Perhaps someone else will chime in. I recall that it binds the harmful stuff but only for a certain amount of time. So a water change is always good.

Thank you for your help. Doing a 50% water change now. I always get great advice here and my tank is turning into something beautiful because of it.

Your welcome. I have been a member for a year now and I am very grateful to everyone who has helped me and put up with me. Lol. IMG_9376.jpg

I have 5 tanks now, this is my main one 29g. It's contagious.

Image1496189415.564284.jpg
That is beautiful. This is my tank. I just started with plants but I had to change my substrate first so I could get the fish and plants I wanted. Now I can get swords and crypts.

Very pretty. Live plants are satisfying to grow just like fish. I love my crypts. I had an Amazon sword and it always looked poorly so it was fed to the snails.

lol I have a few java ferns and a few anubias. I do nothing in terms of fertilization and stuff and they seem to be thriving [emoji16] Best kind of plants.....ones that thrive on neglect.

I like the black sand so much better. Much better than the large brown rocks I had.

I love the Java ferns and Anubias. You know what else is easy but slow and beautiful is bucephalandra. Lots of sizes and colors too.

Low light?

I need to find a place to buy plants. I thought about trying the classifieds on here and another forum I'm on. It's hard to get plants locally and online the shipping is so high

Most of my better plant purchases were on our classifieds. Shipping is a pain but I also have local fish stores with very limited options. I needed MORE and got some great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom