Mix of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to be setting up a 55g tank after I receive my taxes. I've been doing research on the type of fish id like to have for a little over two weeks, trying to figure out which will be able to coexist together. I'm wanting a dinosaur bichir, a black ghost knife fish, and the wife is wanting an electric blue jack Dempsey. I believe the mix is do able if I start them all small enough to grow together. I just don't want the Dempsey attacking either one or the bichir outgrowing the Dempsey and snacking on him. I haven't found any info on growth rate yet. If anyone had info or insight it would be very appreciated.

Sent from my N8000_WHTE_CKT using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't worry about the Bichir eating the Dempsey as long as you get the Dempsey fairly large but, don't get a knife for a tank that size it will get too big and knifes grow quick

Sent from my fish tank

A jack dempsey might be a bit too aggressive for the bichir and is definitely too aggressive for the black ghost knife. I honestly wouldn't put either of those fish with a dempsey.

And you are going to pay a premium price for a large ebjd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Id rather have a few bigger fish than a lot of smaller ones. Any suggestions of a nice sized, colorful fish that would mingle well with the knife and bichir?

Silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, severums, parrots, Geos?, angelfish.

Sent from my fish tank

Silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, severums, parrots, Geos?, angelfish.

Sent from my fish tank

Thanks, I was thinking angel fish might be a good choice.

I'm of the opinion that several fish of one species do best. One fish of this and one of that rarely work out well for the fish. Water parameters are likely to be different as are fish dispositions. It isn't natural. Plus I find a group or two of the same species much more attractive as well as healthy

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Back
Top Bottom