Mixing tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read somewhere that different kinds of tetras can be mixed to make on school. For example, 3 black tetras and 3 bleeding hearts will make one school.

Is this true?

Aquaman23 said:
I read somewhere that different kinds of tetras can be mixed to make on school. For example, 3 black tetras and 3 bleeding hearts will make one school.

Is this true?

No generally not

Is this true?

Tetras are one of my faves.

No, it is not true.

Black skirts would need their own school with a minimum of 6, as would the other kinds of tetras. In my opinion, 8 is the best number for a tetra school.

You can mix certain tetras that are different color variants/styles of similar species. Like black skirt/white skirt or whatnot. They'll tend to stick together, but otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I have 4 black neons in a tank and they often shoal with shiners, but don't exhibit any real true schooling behavior.

Okay. Thanks guys. I might have to get a school of both of these! I'm thinking 6 black tetras and 6 bleeding hearts because these two are my favorite tetras so far.

Back
Top Bottom