mL needed for ammonia ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomorrow night if the ammo doesn't get lower than 2 don't add any more id like to see it dropping faster. Not that I'm doubting you but 6ccs of ammo seems like alot to only get 2ppm im leaning more towards 3ppm just make sure on that. Once your ammo drops to 0 in 24hrs we can discuss the water change nitrates already is a great sign specially being that high already. The nitrite bacteria is the slow one. But your progressing very well

You already added the ammo ida said don't bit no biggie. Hopefully tomorrow night you'll be down below 1ppm if not don't do anything just let it be. If it is below 1ppm humor me add 4ccs of ammo only test it after a1/2 hour give us the reading on that I'll be awake I work third shift if it's not at 4ppm just let it be I'll respond just wanna make sure that 6ccs isn't too much Test your nitrates also don't worry about the nitrites I know what they'll be.

55gallon, Marineland cannister with foam sleeve, Biorings & floss.

Right now I have 3 boesmani rainbows, 3 oto cats, 7 cardinal tetras, 1 redtail shark, 2 red wag platys, 4 guppies female, 1 bristlenose pleco. Lots of hornwort, java fern and java moss, 2 broadleaf anubias. I like the messy look of the moss and hornwort kinda looks like a pond

I understand about doing a PWC to bring down the nitrates after the ammonia drops to zero, but would the +5 nitrites pose a problem? I have read about how high nitrites can stall a cycle. I have not experienced this myself because the nitrites in my last fishless cycle never went higher than 1-2 ppm.

Yes it can but not after 1 day I don't believe mine was at 5+ for a week. It wouldn't hurt if they wanted to do one now but there gonna be doing one here Monday or tuesday night anyways I believe, I'd want there nitrates a bit higher first.

Yes it can but not after 1 day I don't believe mine was at 5+ for a week. It wouldn't hurt if they wanted to do one now but there gonna be doing one here Monday or tuesday night anyways I believe, I'd want there nitrates a bit higher first.

I was just throwing that out there in case things slow down unexpectedly. I agree about watching the nitrate levels rise before doing a PWC.

Finally! Got home do I can check the tank readings. Ph 8.2, Ammon 0.5, nitrite 5+, nitrate 40.
So, gonna add 4 cc 's of ammonia?

Yes wait a half test it add what you need to get it up to 4ppm let me know what that 4cc did for ya tomorrow looks like a water Change day

You don't have to let me know like I said just sounded like 6ccs only getting you 2ppm seemed odd but if that's what it is so be it every tank is different

I'll just tell ya now so you don't have to waste time waiting for me or someone else to reply. If your ammo drops tomorrow like it did today your water change goal is to get your nitrites to around 1ppm so your going to be doing a couple big water changes like 75%+ maybe even 3 times. Dont forget your prime after each 1 enough for the whole tank not just what you took out so 6ccs. Once you get it to 1ppm or less just let it be don't add ammo to it if you managed to take all the nitrites out (I doubt it) add ammo for 1ppm just to feed it. Between your water changes wait an hour to test your nitrites then repeat until you get 1ppm or less. If it's a hair over 1 that's good enough. You have BB building for the nitrites<nitrate but not enough to get rid of it all yet. Once your ammo can drop from 4to0ish now your concentrating on the nitrites so buy getting it down to 1ppm you giving what BB you have something it can actually work with and once it's gets going it goes quick your just managing how much nitrite it gets buy lowering the ammo input and bringing it back up to the 4ppm. That was alot sorry

Thanks so much for all the info! I HAD to get to bed last night, alarm goes off at 4::45, so I didn t retest . Just put in 4 cc of ammonia & left fate to the Gods!
Will test after work & do the water changes.
Really appreciate the help :).

Make sure your ammo had dropped to 0ish and your nitrAtes are up there pretty good then yeah have fun changing or the water. Keep us posted. YW that's why this site is great tons of helpful people. And everyone is willing to try there best to help each other out.

Wow! Looks like you are coming close to the end of the cycle! Congrats!:)

Thanks Pearly :). Yeah, realized about 3 days into it that I was pretty confident starting the cycling process but had a big Ugh, now what moment? Eek!' Thank goodness for Bambikiller and all the other support!

Thanks Pearly :). Yeah, realized about 3 days into it that I was pretty confident starting the cycling process but had a big Ugh, now what moment? Eek!' Thank goodness for Bambikiller and all the other support!

I know! Had those "ugh moments too":) but it's a good feeling when you're finally seeing that pretty orange color on your nitrate tube isn't it??!!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom