Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Molly and Ghost Shrimp

Will Mollies eat Ghost Shrimp? A couple weeks ago I added 10 Ghost Shrimp to my 10 gal tank. Now their are only 6 in there. I doubt the Tetra's are eating them. Could it be the molly? He will be moved to the 29 gal tank when we move, the 10 gal is just temporary.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a molly who was very aggressive. She used to fight with my betta quite often, and she'd always win. He was terrified of her. I was told, when I gave her back to the lps, that mollies sometimes get aggressive when they're kept singly in a tank. However, mollies are herbivores, so I doubt that yours would actually eat the shrimp. Perhaps they're just dying, and you just can't find their bodies, or their bodies are being eaten by the tetras.

I come in peace

Old 06-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found a dead shrimp stuck to the intake tube of the filter. The ghost shrimp used to be out and about in the tank, now they are all pretty much hanging in the greenery. The tetra's don't bother the Ghost shrimp at all, but every once in a while I'll see the molly kind of swim over to them and push them around.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
when the ghost shrimp molt they become very vulnerable and can easily get stressed out and die, so good thing they are cheap fish otherwise i wouldnt get to many...lol, but basically they will molt and try to find a place to hide and if they cant get it in time or become extremely stressed out during that period they will just die(strange but true) and either get eaten or sucked up into a filter...but i'm sure you know that....i'm like a 4 yr old talking to bill gates about computers
Old 06-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am in no way an expert in fish keeping. Hence the question. So no reason to feel like a 4 year old talking to Bill Gates.

I know more about the African Cichlids than any other fish. Just take a look at my sig. I tend to research and read about Africans more because we have so many of them. But I am trying to expand my horizons by stocking the 55 gal tank with nice community fish. I'm sure I will have many more questions along the way. I've kept Ghost Shrimp before with my Betta with no problems. But it seems like when I put them in my 10 gal tank, they die faster. That's why I thought maybe it was the Molly.

Well, off to do the weekly water changes. The 10 gal has to go through some reconstruction. Problems with algae are happening again.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually mollies are omnivores. They will eat brine shrimp, but I don't know if they eat ghost shrimp.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys! I think I may take them out of the 10 gal tank today and put them in my 5 gal tank.

Tags
ghost, ghost shrimp, molly, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com