Mono Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guys I have some questions about mono angels. Could you'd please give me some background information on them like their requirements and If they can go in a community tank. Thank you.

Mono Sebae are brackish fish. They need a fairly large tank as they can reach 8"-10" in size.

Reactions: HN1
I liked the ones with the yellow I have seen people keep them on freshwater their whole life are they a peaceful fish that can go in a community aquarium. I do put a but of salt in the water in my community tank.

Those are mono argentus. I've kept mono sebae and still have one, they are not good community fish at all unless you keep larger stuff with them, I had a trio that effectively destroyed about 2 dozen danios in a few days.

Yes I don't have any small fish like danios my smallest fish would be my black widow tetras which wouldn't be small enough to get eaten they are quiet big. Since they are my smallest do you think it could work.

Considering that they really should be brackish and even transition into full marine, I would say no, not long term. Maybe short term.

The monos I've seen in stores are always in full marine, with the exception of the small ones.

Can they live in freshwater that has a bit of salt in it.

It needs to be transitioned to brackish or even full marine at some point, which means adding marine salt. Salt alone doesn't replicate brackish water, it's best to get the marine salt mix to do it. That said, if you are set on that, just pick other fish that will transition to brackish as well. I don't have any recommendations for that apart from maybe mollies, sheepshead minnows, flagfish (could be wrong on that one), but whether they'll mesh with the monos is to be determined.

Just add marine salt, not regular aquarium/kosher salt. Use a hydrometer (or better, a refractometer) to keep track of the salinity and gradually increase it over the course of a few months.

The thing is I dont think that would work cause I have a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom