Moonlight in Tropical Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

y2blade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought and fitted a moonlight in my new 48" aquarium at the weekend, I think it looks fantastic

anyone else here running a moonlight?

I haven't, still fishless cycling my tank, but if it ever does cycle I was thinking of getting a moonlight too, I think they look awesome. What kind did you get (submersible or fitted onto the hood)?

I have a Current USA T5HO 4x39w fixture on my 50 gal that came with moonlight leds. I have it set on a timer to run the leds at night and the T5 bulbs during the day. Not very bright, but just enough light to make the tank glow a little in the dark.

I run a moonlight in my 65 gallon. I like to use it as a buffer before turning on the fluorescents. It also looks nice at night and the fish seem fairly active when it's on.

Fish do need some total lights off time, don't they? I"m still fishless cycling so I'm in the planning stages lol I was thinking of just ambient light in the morning since I'm at work anyway (the room the tank is in gets good natural light but no direct sunlight on the tank), then have a timer set for the normal incandescent to go on from about maybe 1 PM to 5 or 6 PM, then the moonlight on from 6 PM to about 9 PM, then lights off all night.

Fish do need some total lights off time, don't they? I"m still fishless cycling so I'm in the planning stages lol I was thinking of just ambient light in the morning since I'm at work anyway (the room the tank is in gets good natural light but no direct sunlight on the tank), then have a timer set for the normal incandescent to go on from about maybe 1 PM to 5 or 6 PM, then the moonlight on from 6 PM to about 9 PM, then lights off all night.

yep
I'm still on fishless cycle...my moonlight will only be used for a few hours in the evening..then total darkness overnight and through until the main light comes on on the timer

yep
I'm still on fishless cycle...my moonlight will only be used for a few hours in the evening..then total darkness overnight and through until the main light comes on on the timer

Can you post a pic of what the tank looks like with the moonlight on?

Back
Top Bottom