More Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadthedad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm still debating on whether to go with a single or dual tube strip light. After doing more lighting research I noticed that certain bulbs can focus on certain wavelenghths of light. This can get very confusing.

First some info then my question... This will be a freshwater 75g aquarium with fake plants. Some of the fish will be rainbows, glofish, neons, etc. I want a bulb that will really pick up the colors of these bright fish. Does anyone have any recommendations for bulbs (flourescent)? Also with that bulb would a single or dual tube strip light look better?

Thanks!

Hmm, well since you don't have to worry about growing plants your options are wide open. I LOVE the light that 50/50 compact flourescent/actinics give, but you may not want to pay such a high price since you don't need the PC lighting.

Might going planted be something you'd consider in the future? I ask b/c (1) I'm trying to hint to you that you should get some real plants in there! and (2) b/c if it is something you might consider, you don't want to have to buy a new setup when/if you do.

If you're sure you're not into going planted, then just get a higher k bulb. Around 10,000 kelvin temperature flourescent bulbs give a really nice bright white light.

If you wanted to not go planted (although I highly recommend it!) I'd run a dual strip fixture, one around 10000K and 1 actinic. The actinic will really make the colors on your fish pop out more.

I agree with the 50/50's and Actinic. You don't have to go pc to get those bulbs. We have them on our 150 gal tank in standard flourescent bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom