Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

More questions on my fish conundrum!

So, you have helped me through my carnival fish, bad advice from the pet store people saga and I've made great strides and a great effort to help these little fish have an good environment. It's not ideal, but I'm hoping it works.

I have the betta in the filtered 2.5 gallon tank. I bought a test kit, tested the water and changed out 25% today according to the results.

I bought a 20 gallon tank for the goldfish. I set it up, conditioned the water and now it is filtering. I just finished doing this.

My questions:

1. The goldfish is in a tupperware with conditioned water that I am changing 2-3 times a day because he seems frantic and when I change his water he calms down. He is in a terrible situation in this tupperware. So, I'm thinking I should just transfer him to the tank immediately. He has been living in the same conditioned tap water that is the tank, so do you think transferring him now is a good idea? I change slowly out his water with tank water for a few hours so he gets used to the new temp? It seems like he needs to get in the bigger tank ASAP.

2. I am a busy mom of 3 kids under 5 with 2 dogs and I work full time from home. These fish were not planned out (won at a carnival, see my other thread). I want to ensure their happiness and health, but I have to be realistic- there will be days I just can't test the water. Do you think it would be acceptable to just change 25%- 50% (which amount?) of the water on the days I can't test the water?

3. Last, I'm going camping in 2 weeks for 5 days. I know that all this hard work can be totally screwed by me not being there to change the water. I live far from my family and I don't have friends close enough to help (we just moved here). Any suggestions on how I can mitigate a total ecological collapse for my fish while doing this fish-in cycle?

4. How often should I feed the betta and the goldie? Maybe every other day so he won't make as much waste, thus contributing to the ammonia?

Thanks SO much!!!! I appreciate your wisdom.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
1 and 2: Doing a fish in cycle, chances are nearly 100% that you will be changing water daily anyway.
Eco will hopefully chime in, but as long as your are doing a minimum of 50% or more daily, and maybe conditioning with Prime which can temporarily detoxify ammonia, and nitrite in large enough doses, the goldfish would be better off in the tank.
More water = more stable parameters. It will take longer for the tank water to hit toxic levels than a little bitty Tupperware container.
4: you will find most on here do not feed daily on here unless they have juvenile fish they are growing out.
As far as #3, that is a dangerous situation for the fish...and can honestly think of no suggestions since you have no one to do water changes while you are gone...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon B
1 and 2: Doing a fish in cycle, chances are nearly 100% that you will be changing water daily anyway.
Eco will hopefully chime in, but as long as your are doing a minimum of 50% or more daily, and maybe conditioning with Prime which can temporarily detoxify ammonia, and nitrite in large enough doses, the goldfish would be better off in the tank.
More water = more stable parameters. It will take longer for the tank water to hit toxic levels than a little bitty Tupperware container.
4: you will find most on here do not feed daily on here unless they have juvenile fish they are growing out.
As far as #3, that is a dangerous situation for the fish...and can honestly think of no suggestions since you have no one to do water changes while you are gone...
+1 on all of that . You've got it covered.

All I can add is to let your test kit dictate the frequency and size of water changes...don't measure it by the clock. You can also trust your bottle of Prime. It detoxifies ammonia (not counting ridiculously high levels) for 24-36 hours...but make sure when the toxin levels climb you are doing water changes and re-dosing the Prime. Some say that as long as the toxins aren't too high you can skip the pwc and just re-dose the Prime, but personally I trust my bucket and fresh water more than a bottle (not that Prime isn't awesome).

I'm sure you've already seen it, but just in case-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

+1 on all of that . You've got it covered.

[/URL]
Only because I found this site.
OP you are definitely in the right place to get started!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you. Rock and Roll Bob is in his new 20 gallon tank. I will keep testing and doing water changes along with using the Prime for both fish. On the days I can't test I'll at least do a 50% water change and of course use Prime with the new water.

My mom has agreed to come up to my house twice while I am gone camping and do a water change and redose the Prime. Hopefully it will be enough while I am gone.

And Eco23, your cycle guides have been beyond helpful to an unexpected fish owning novice like me! Thank you!!!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Look It Up

Great, sounds like you have things covered. Perhaps you can give your mom some lessons on how to change the water, it can be a bit tricky the first few times until you get the hang of it (I'm still not very graceful at it lol). Good luck!

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com