Moving an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my 1st time... I'm planning to put the fish in a bucket w/ the HOB filter & bubbler. And move everything as quickly as possible. Any other tips or tricks I should know??

I so dread the thought of this. When we get our 50 gallon we are moving our 20 in the dining room upstairs to our bedroom to put the 50 in the dining room.

How far are you moving it and how big is it?

I've heard some people suggest to just remove all but a few inches of water from the tank and leave the fish in there. Remove the decor that could move and possibly hurt the fish and move the tank this way. Stick your media and such in the old tank water. Saves you from having to chase and net your fish and go through that headache. Though if you are moving any distance this probably won't work at all. lol.

It's a 15 gal column & it's going upstairs!! Ha ha... Looks like I'm going net-fishin'!

good luck!! I'm debating if we want to remove the fish from ours or if hubby and I can manage it up the stairs with a few inches of water. I just think about trying to catch my neons and wonder if I really need to put the 50 in the dining room. lol

So far, going very smoothly!

image-3388269538.jpg
Here they are in their bucket, it's square so my HOB sits on the side.

tamtam... I took all the decos out & they were all easy to catch. I wouldn't want to leave them all in the tank w/ that low of water & getting jostled around stirring up the substrate. Yeah, if it were just from 1 piece of furniture to another but up the stairs, no. They would survive but I think it wouldn't be very good for them. Good luck! Maybe I'll have a tank in my room someday, that'd be really neat!!

tamtam... I took all the decos out & they were all easy to catch. I wouldn't want to leave them all in the tank w/ that low of water & getting jostled around stirring up the substrate. Yeah, if it were just from 1 piece of furniture to another but up the stairs, no. They would survive but I think it wouldn't be very good for them. Good luck! Maybe I'll have a tank in my room someday, that'd be really neat!!

Glad it went well! Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom