Moving betta to new, partially cycled aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,
I have a betta in a 2g tank right now and the other day I had to do a 100% WC because the ammonia levels were extremely high.
I currently have a 5g tank that's cycling, but I was wondering if I could just move my fish now? The ammonia is (as of a few days ago) at 1.0ppm.

Would I have to drain the tank and then just refill it or should I just do a PWC to lower the ammonia for my little guy?

I figure that bettas are pretty hardy so he'd be able to handle the move pretty easily, and after crashing the cycle in my smaller tank, I don't see much harm in just moving him now.

Thanks for the advice :)

Personally I think you would be better off leaving him in the 2 gallon until the 5 gallon cycles. Just keep up with your PWC's and he should be fine! He will be much happier in the fresher water and you won't mess up the cycle in the other tank.

I disagree. There's more room in a 5 meaning less ammonia. You should get the ammo and nitrites to 0 in the 5 then transfer it. IMO itd be better to have it in a cycling 5 than 2.

Back
Top Bottom