Moving from a 10g to a 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hluke2131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey All!

We're a little over-stocked in my son's 10g tank--it was a birthday present for his 4th birthday this past August--and I think I finally convinced my wife to let us upgrade to a 20g!

I'd like to safely & properly move everything that's in the existing tank (all fish, decor, filter, heater, substrate, water, etc.) to the new, larger tank seamlessly (I hope). Then add a few more friends, once the transfer has happened. The tank is in good bio shape and is regularly cleaned, cycled, etc. and again, has been set up since August, 2017.

Any recommendations on how to make that transition? Or any resources/guides you can point me toward?

Thanks!

if everything is cycled, you can just transfer it all over.
drain the water into bucket (one will be enough) transfer the fish into bucket (they will be fine for few days at least). I would vacuum gravel before scooping it into another bucket. remove tank, place new one, transfer the filter with all the media still in it (I assume HOB since 10Gal) to the new tank, place gravel if reusing, fill , drop the fish in. done.

I'd wait few days before adding anything new though.

good luck.

Make sure the temperature is about the same in the new tank before you move the fish in. I’d also think about rinsing the gravel in aquarium water as the vacuuming alone may not be sufficient. And of course use the same filter media from the 10g at least until your new filter and media have time to colonize enough beneficial bacteria.

I should have clarified that we're right at 100% capacity. Not overstocked currently, but not able to safely add any new buddies either. Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom