Moving Tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have a 30 gallon fully cycled freshwater tank. It is set up on one piece of furniture. We recently got a 10 gallon. We want to move the 30 about 3 feet away, but I realize just picking it up and moving it isn't an option. So, how should I move the tank? Also, the 10 is going where the 30 is right now. So I'll be filling or with 10 gallons of my 30 g water. I need to know how to move the water, animals, and decor with minimum stress, damage, and the fastest speed. Also, I need to know how this will effect my biological bacteria.

Well, it depends. How much weight do you think you could lift? You should probably just take all of the fish out, but them in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water, move the tank, and fill it with dechlorinated water. Huge water change and moved the tank! You killed two fish with one stone! :lol:

If not you could drain the tank to only a few inches of water and lift it that way.

Do you have a hang on back or canister filter? Or other? If it is hang on back, just leave it on the tank (turned off, obviously) and it'll be fine. If it's canister than I don't know, because I don't understand how canister filters work anyway! :D

So you don't think it will structurally compromise the tank glass by just lifting it? And it weighs about 280 lbs full and 200 lbs half full.

Try moving it when you do your WC. Move your fish in to a bucket and then move your tank. If you have help you can use a pice of wood to run under your tank. I would say its best to remove everything out of the tank..

If you drain it down enough you should be able to move it all at once. Take any larger decor items out if they can shift and possibly fall. We've moved tanks much larger than 30 that way and never had a problem.

On the 10G, don't worry about transferring water from the 30. The beneficial bacteria isn't waterborne so you would only be transferring dirty water.

Back
Top Bottom