Moving to a larger tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would go for some rainbows, some of them have gorgeous bright colours, and as they're an australian fish, they're pretty easy to find. (i'm in australia too).

you don't want a yabbie, they'll eat your fish.

i think the only non-fish bottom dwellers we have are yabbies and mystery snails. i've never seen shrimp or anything. if you have bns, though, surely they give the bottom life? you could go for some pakistani loaches, they're bottom dwellers and great fish.

if you're in sydney, go to the st george aquariums at rockdale, they're the best fish shop around!

Now if you do want a shark for a bottom dweller, see if you can get a Rainbow Shark. They are a bit less aggressive, and generally get along great with other fish. Just get 1 though.

Have you thought about Rainbowfish? They are colorful, and full of life.

My BNS are always on the tank or on the leaves of my Anubius (sp?)

I usually go to the aquarium in Auburn, mainly cause they always have healthy fish and great advice.
Even stopped me buying a Ghost Knife i had stupidly not researched!

The Khuli's are great at night or when the light is off.

I love my fire eel. Too bad I had 1 escape and found him dead. He was 14 inches, and the one I still have is almost 14 inches. I want a bigger tank for when he gets bigger. They can get quite huge, 40+inches.

Any loaches are pretty cool too, just get them in at least trios. They do better 3 or more. I have Skunk loaches, yoyo's, and striped loaches. Love them all, and they all get along great and keep the bottom free of excess food, lol.

I like the idea of an eel.
That's something different.
I'll get another Khuli to make it 3 all up.

Just had a look at the rainbows and i have to say they look pretty cool.

These are the ones i like:
Boesman's
Parkinson's
New Guinea

Not sure where i could get them but they do look pretty cool and none break my 6" limit.

I'll start doing some research.

Just remember that eels do get bigger, and can make a quick meal of neons, etc. I've had my eel in with smaller fish since it was small, 3 inches, and it hasn't made any meals of them. Probably due to growing up with them. Now if I were to add feeder guppies, he may get a taste for fish and eat everything in site, lol. But for now, he loves his bloodworm and beefheart mix.

Yeah after a bit of reading i think i'll stay away from the eels.

I'd really love something like a fiddler crab, not sure if you can get them here in Oz though.

I'll get all the schools up to a healthy level and then just keep visiting the LFS and see what they have, if i like something i'll research it and then decide.

Might make a post for suggestions of 6" fish.

Thanks for all the help guys, really took a lot off my mind!

Well it's all done.

Got the tank setup, running and moved my stock across.
they loved it, all hung out in one corner at first but they're spread out now.

I've flashed out my schools now, and bought 4 clown loaches and 4 emperor tetras too.
Full details in my profile.

Tank looks great, going to strart with some plants now (mostly just anubius) and then start looking at my 'feature' fish.

Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom