Multiple gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chanchan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive starting my third tank which is a 29-30g. As of now it has two dwarf gouramis, two cory cats, and we just put in two blue rams. Originally we had planned on putting 3 rams in but the lfs said two would be better.

As soo as we got home the gouramis (two males) immediatly were chasing the rams around i assume marking their territory. After feeding them a bunch of blood worms, the gouramis are now sleeping (one in the hiding spot made for the blue rams and cories) and the other in the middle of the tank. Oh and i probably should add that one of the gouramis always chases the other one.

From what i've read, most people keep gouramis singly like betas, well because they are related to betas, so im wondering...

should i keep the two and wait it out? should i develop more hiding areas? should i take the non-community-minded gourami out?

We planned on having this as the living room community ooh's and ahhh's tank. Future fish are supposed to be a decent sized school of black tetras. Besides that, the girlfriend hasnt decided what she wants.

Any help or suggestions GREATLY appreciated. Im more of a plant tank kinda person.

Gouramis always chase each other.... asserting there dominance and being territorial.

I have had 2 golden gouramis for over a year now in a 15 gallon tank with no problems. They chase each other but nothing too violent.

Tbh I would say have 2 so that they have some company... I hate putting just 1 fish off any species in a tank unless its the only way to have that fish i.e. Siamese fighter

thanks. ive been watching them for a couple of days and they have mellowed out a bit. feeding time is interesting to say the least. i think they will be alright.

Dwarf Gourami are known to be aggressive in pairs. I've tried it several times with no luck...and I'm a gourami person. I have had them numerous times now individually with no problem, happy as clams. I won't have them at all now though because of the Dwarf Gourami Disease that so many are afflicted with. You should google it.

BTW, you may (or may not) have some issues with your other two species. I'm also a cory person as well as a ram person. Both species can be sensitive to certain conditions and die rather easily. Cory are a shoaling species and prefer to be in groups of 6 or more. Some species, such as pandas, are more sensitive to this than others and can die from the stress of low numbers. Blue Rams are *highly* sensitive to certain water parameters and stress. They die easily. I could see the stress from your gourami being enough to kill them. Also, they require soft water, with a lower pH, and very good water quality. You must keep them in a low stress environment, all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom