my 1st 22gal. tank, need help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

still

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all, its my 1st post inhere..
ipurchased a 80x30x40cm. tank ,about 84L. with Resun 1200 powerfilter, cycled it using my previous tank stuff like the gravel, plants, filter sponges and decorations too..
anyway , heres wat igot for it:

1x 4cm fantail goldfish
1x 3.5cm fantail goldfish

5x 2cm guppies (3males, 2females)
1x 4cm guppy (female)

4x 2.5cm zebra danios

1x 2.5cm pepper catfish
1x 3.5cm pepper catfish

1x 8cm plecostomus

the real mistake idid that ididnt wait enough bet. adding fishes, about 1 day bet. diff. kinds of those stock igot,, so iknow imayb in trouble , and thats in addition to that idont ve any kits for the ammonia ,nitrites or nitrates ,just for PH.. isupposed that its really cycled as iused just the goldfishes in it for aweek or so..

ireally need help inthis as idont want to loose em, wat about the water changes for the current situation? and the nutrition?.

thanks in advance.

You really need kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. How do you know if your cycle is over if you haven't tested? Thats why you need them. Also if a fish dies you need to test the water to see if it was related to ammonia. Goldfish are cold water fish while the other fish you listed are tropical. I don't think they're going to mix very well. Goldfish like temps in the 60s low 70s (I think) and tropical fish like temps in the mid to upper 70s. Goldfish produce a lot of waste too. Your going to want a heater (if you don't already have one) so the temp doesn't flucuate. HTH

itsnt overstocked then?

isearched alot really for atestkit inhere with no use, imay seek it in another
city or something..
but at the worst ,can i -by any means- have asuccess managing it without
a testkit?

No it isn't overstocked overall, but just starting, you shouldn't have that many fish in there. You should just start with 3 hardy fish.

Anything is possible , but without a proper test kit, you could be doing more harm then good. You can always order test kits online. I recommend www.drsfostersmith.com Until you have a test kit, I would do 15-20% water changes daily to keep your ammonia and nitrites in check. You REALLY need to get a test kti though...

[center:54012f5f7e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, still! :n00b: [/center:54012f5f7e]
1x 4cm fantail goldfish
1x 3.5cm fantail goldfish

5x 2cm guppies (3males, 2females)
1x 4cm guppy (female)

4x 2.5cm zebra danios

1x 2.5cm pepper catfish
1x 3.5cm pepper catfish

1x 8cm plecostomus

With an 84 liter tank, which is about 22 gallons. You are over stocked. Each goldfish needs 10 gals for proper growth and because they are such large waste producers. All the other fish can go in there own 84 gal tank! What tank did you have before this?
Since you do not know the water parameters, you will need to do daily water changes of 20% if the fish looked stressed--breathing at the surface, clampeds fins, staying at the bottom....
You are from Alex? I'm not familar with that abbreviation. Where is it located?

I personally think you are way overstocked. The goldfish and pleco alone create tons of waste. My father-in-law had goldfish and guppies and one by one they died, because the goldfish ended up nipping them to death.

Your goldfish prefer much cooler water versus all your other tropical fish, that prefer warmer water. I personally think you need to return the goldfish and pleco and get something more suitable. If you really want a pleco, why not try a bristlenose or a pitbull pleco.

will ihad just asmall 15L. tank before this one,,
actually icant return the goldfish to anyone and icant afford another tank inhere,
its areal problem iknow, ill try..
Alexandria is located in Egypt .
btw ive informed www.drsfostersmith.com about the kit from along time ago, but
unfortunately they only had federal express air for international shipping, the shipping
fees was about 100$ while the actual kit cost was about 30$ or something!

any other available sites with areasonable shipping fees?

Todd2 said:
You really need kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. How do you know if your cycle is over if you haven't tested? Thats why you need them. Also if a fish dies you need to test the water to see if it was related to ammonia. Goldfish are cold water fish while the other fish you listed are tropical. I don't think they're going to mix very well. Goldfish like temps in the 60s low 70s (I think) and tropical fish like temps in the mid to upper 70s. Goldfish produce a lot of waste too. Your going to want a heater (if you don't already have one) so the temp doesn't flucuate. HTH
i agree

ok imanaged to give the LFS one of the goldfishs,, but honestly icant give him the other
one, its one of the 1st fishes ive and ireally love it much, u know guys how it really
feel inside whene u love ur pet!
iguess its better now isnt it?
but i still ve to get a testkit,,
so till iget one , what things ishould do?,
awater change of 15-20% daily?

water changes of 15-20% is good. Make sure you add the dechlor to the water before putting it back in though...

Back
Top Bottom