My 1st tank..46g Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBrods

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want 2-3 Redtailed Barracuda. Other then that, just some schooling fish and algie cleaners. Not sure of my background yet but I'm thinking black sand, a large centerpiece driftwood, a nice rock that I have and a few tall plants in the back. I have a Penguin bio-wheel 350 and jager 100w heater.
First question...The filter hangs off the back. Should I put something behind the part that touches the tank as it is not totaly level? I would say no BUT the part tube that goes into the tank to suck the water into the filter sticks out a about 2 inches from the tank. If I were to level the filter by putting something against it and the tank, it would pull the intake tube closer to the inside tank.

Um, not sure you can put Barracudas in that tank. Two alone would fully stock it but even then they can outgrow the tank if they grow to full size. So if you really want them you'll have to return the 46 gal and get something much larger (probably at least 70 gals +)

Red-tailed Freshwater Barracuda (Acestrorhynchus falcatus) - Seriously Fish
Red Tail Barracuda - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
Red Tail Barracuda (Acestrorhynchus falcatus)

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle but it's a good idea to properly cycle your tank before adding fish. There's a link in my signature below called: new empty tank; it'll guide you through the process. The other link is for fish-in cycling which can be done but it takes some work and 1-3 months of dedication. Read both and see which you prefer. I'd still advise against the Barracudas for that tank size from what I'm reading online although perhaps someone with experience with them can advise further. Good luck.

librarygirl said:
Um, not sure you can put Barracudas in that tank. Two alone would fully stock it but even then they can outgrow the tank if they grow to full size. So if you really want them you'll have to return the 46 gal and get something much larger (probably at least 70 gals +)

Red-tailed Freshwater Barracuda (Acestrorhynchus falcatus) - Seriously Fish
Red Tail Barracuda - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer
Red Tail Barracuda (Acestrorhynchus falcatus)

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle but it's a good idea to properly cycle your tank before adding fish. There's a link in my signature below called: new empty tank; it'll guide you through the process. The other link is for fish-in cycling which can be done but it takes some work and 1-3 months of dedication. Read both and see which you prefer. I'd still advise against the Barracudas for that tank size from what I'm reading online although perhaps someone with experience with them can advise further. Good luck.

I actually had a single barracuda years ago. I had it in a 10 gallon tank. It did fine until I had to move and give it away. It only grew to about 4" but that didn't bother me. I figured with a 46g, they would get bigger. Maybe I'll just get 2 then.

Back
Top Bottom