My 20 Gallon Tank Journey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My temperature is currently 80, but I can set it to 82 during the cycle. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Update 11/15/2012

The cycle is going really well! Nitrites are 5+ ppm, nitrates are about 2.5 ppm, and I usually have to redose ammonia everyday now. I predict that I'll be done by next week.

The plants are doing alright. The dwarf hairgrass has a few brown blades, but no major problems. The anubias are doing badly though. A lot of their leaves are rotting away. I had to remove two of them because they were making too much of a mess. I'm thinking of replacing them with christmas moss or something. The camboba are doing fine as well.

@Fresh2o I may just have to do what you did with your filter. THe output is starting to attack the camboba. Unfortunately, I threw away the piece of plastic from the cover. Any ideas on how to do it?

Also, I'll be setting up the quarantine tank soon. I'll just be using an old ten gallon for that, and some plastic plants I have lying around. It won't be very pretty. To cycle the QT, I plan to just run the QT filter in the main tank for a few days and then move it over to the qt tank. I also can't decide whether to get the harlequin rasboras or the otos first.

I would get the harlequins first. otos, I read, should be introduced into a established tank. nice choices of fish. :)

Thanks. I thought the rasboras would be best too. Should I leave the otos until everything else besides the gourami is in?

By the way, I feel like the tank will be done cycling either tomorrow or Sunday. Nitrites is now .25 ppm and nitrates is about 5 ppm, but with the API test kit and all the dividing I can't be 100% accurate. It's about 5 though. But anyways, YAAAAY! That was the fastest cycle I've ever done.

Plants are doing alright. I took out another anubia. The anubias now have algae on them, but the other plants don't. The only current issue is two of the camboba can't grow properly because their tops keep getting pulled onto the intake pipe of the filter, so I have to figure out how to correct that.

I'm also gonna set up the QT tank. I just need to run it in the main tank for a few days for a nice instant cycle. And I need to find a spot for the QT lol.

Here are some pics for the lip extension for the AC50 ( though it can be applied to most any HOB). You'll need sturdy scissors, pliers, and optionally some form of heat (hot water or a hair dryer). Most LFS sell the plastic strip separately in the lighting supply section. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. You cut the strip to the width of the HOB spillway. You want to make two bends (the heat helps make the plastic more pliable):
#1. Bend the section of the strip that has the part that grips the glass hood downward about 45 degrees
#2. Bend the strip lengthwise along the middle about 45 degrees upward
Next, use pliers to pinch the part that grips the glass hood in one or two areas. Do not apply too much force. This will allow the lip extension to grip the HOB spillway and not fall into your tank.
You will have to adjust the bends and see what works best with your water level.

Attachments

• image-471026313.jpg
    image-471026313.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3120859170.jpg
    image-3120859170.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image-3161113164.jpg
    image-3161113164.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1954606779.jpg
    image-1954606779.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1756026310.jpg
    image-1756026310.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 53
The cabomba is doing well. I made a cutting when sprouts reached the surface and replanted. Took about 2 weeks. Not far to travel in a 20L. New roots growing and there are a few shoots appearing in the gravel. Will need to perform another cut soon. Here is a pic with the blur of longfin blue danios. No CO2, just started using API Leaf Zone last week, 24" T8, java moss, lots of current (AC50 + Emperor 280...in the process of evaluating both so I kept them running). Got over a bout of ick a few weeks ago.

Oops helps if I attach the pic

Attachments

• image-3893146577.jpg
    image-3893146577.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-4055113902.jpg
    image-4055113902.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 63
Nice tank fresh2o and thanks to everyone who followed. The cycle is acting all weird now. Last reading was:

Ammonia- 1 ppm
Nitrites- 0 ppm
Nitrates- about 5 ppm

And the reading the day before was

Ammonia- .25
Nitrites- .25
Nitrates- 5

So I think that the cycle is basically done but I just overdosed on ammonia that one time. I didn't redose yesterday so we'll see what happens when I test today. I usually perform the tests at 3 pm so I'll wait until then.

The plants are doing all right. One of the dhg bunches is looking very brown but I'm hoping they'll perk up eventually. The camboba is doing well. I just have to figure out how to keep two of the stalks out of the intake pipe. I now have some green algae growth on the wood and I think it looks great there, as long as it doesn't go on the plants. I also think I'm going to replace the anubias with christmas or java moss. They really block the camboba and they annoy me.

And as for the stalk, I'm still debating whether I want regular neon tetras or gold neon tetras like these: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Gold Neon Tetra I think I'll just get all the fish (except the gourami) first and see what colors would fit better.

Oh and fresh2o thanks for the instructions. I'll have to get that done sometime.

I've run into a roadblock. This strange blue algae is growing on some of the plants. Can anyone identify it and how to I get rid of it before it becomes a major problem?

Attachments

• image-652972794.jpg
    image-652972794.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2564967687.jpg
    image-2564967687.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 64
So the cycle is complete! That was the shortest cycle ever. I added my betta Waffle to keep the bacteria alive before I get the rad boras on Saturday. Will he be enough to feed the bacteria or should I add some platies too?

And I also decided to change the gourami to a Betta because bettas are awesome. I also hear that gourami a can be hard so I'm gonna wait until I'm a little more experienced. Otherwise same stock

Attachments

• image-2119600855.jpg
    image-2119600855.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 44
How's the blue green slimy algae doing? Any changes? Could be from too many nutrients. Perhaps when your plants grow more, their nutrient uptake will resolve this. I have had that in the past with non planted tanks (it grew on the plastic plants), however, it was removed by a few pond snails that were taking up residence. Good luck and congrats on the cycling.

I found out that it comes right off with a toothbrush. All I have to do is lightly stroke it. THe hard part is catching the free floating algae before it disappears.

Back
Top Bottom