My 44g log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went by a LFS today to ask more questions and talked to the fish expert?? about cycling my tank and my plan. He gave me the filter that filters all the tanks that needed to be changed about 18"x10 filter. So I am off on my adventure.
1st I set up the tank put filter, heater, decor, and air walls.
2nd added the water (well water) then added Prime and Stability.
3rd Started everything up and adjusted decor.
4th got filter that LFS gave me and rang it out into tank about 2 cups of nasty.
5th cut 4" of the filter off the pad and stuffed into filter with clean filter.
Tomorrow after church will do first test and post results.

img_1654389_0_ff283aaa9768771c9db8939442c1ce2b.jpg

img_1654389_1_69941fb56861bb2e5e01f40e08d00607.jpg

img_1654389_2_9fd0e758cbd46f914799264abfa5b23a.jpg

12 hrs after tank set up

Tank was clear this morning all starter material liquid added last night cleared up.

Tested at 9:15am
Ammo- 0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
ph-7.5
Temp-75
Added 4 flakes of food

Added 2nd dose of Stability at 1:30 pm

I have no access to pure ammonia so I will add fish tomorrow night after test in morning and I will take water sample to LFS.
My pH is at the top of my range I would like to drop it a little. I have some pH lower for a swimming pool was wondering if I can add that to lower it with Prime or is it worth worrying about.

No need to adjust pH. Most fish can adapt to pH. It is better to have a stable pH that might be a little high or low than to mess with it. I wouldn't use any pool chemicals at all, that's just a recipe for disaster IMO.

Checked Tank at 7:30a
pH 8.4
Amm, trite, trate-0

At 11:45a recheck tanks pH did nothing to alter it.
pH 7.4
I think I messed up the test, but since I had to perform 2 test to get the high reading I am wondering if me removing the top allowed the pH to go down.

Bigge_al said:
Checked Tank at 7:30a
pH 8.4
Amm, trite, trate-0

At 11:45a recheck tanks pH did nothing to alter it.
pH 7.4
I think I messed up the test, but since I had to perform 2 test to get the high reading I am wondering if me removing the top allowed the pH to go down.

Find out what the water from your tap is. Put some in in a glass and leave it over night then test it. I don't think it should jump like that.

Fish-in

Just added 5 glofish at 7:45pm 1 purple, 1 green, 1 blue, 1 red, and 1 orange. Salesman was rude said he did not want to have to get one of each but I p'ed him of and told him Petco is only a mile away.
They are swimming all over tank kids are really excited.

In the morning I will check all readings. I put top on and left light off for the night. I hope that my pH issue is not caused my the top being on.

Not to get ahead of myself but my stocking plan is:
5 glofish danos (added 11/21)
5 neon tetras
2 mollies
2 Platys
and I want to try a betta.

I figure the betta will be last but what group should I add next.
I have read that danos like to have other schooling fish maybe the tetra's.
Input welcome.

Bigge_al said:
Just added 5 glofish at 7:45pm 1 purple, 1 green, 1 blue, 1 red, and 1 orange. Salesman was rude said he did not want to have to get one of each but I p'ed him of and told him Petco is only a mile away.
They are swimming all over tank kids are really excited.

In the morning I will check all readings. I put top on and left light off for the night. I hope that my pH issue is not caused my the top being on.

That's a bit rude! Your the customer he should get what you want.

Bigge_al said:
Not to get ahead of myself but my stocking plan is:
5 glofish danos (added 11/21)
5 neon tetras
2 mollies
2 Platys
and I want to try a betta.

I figure the betta will be last but what group should I add next.
I have read that danos like to have other schooling fish maybe the tetra's.
Input welcome.

I'm not the best at stocking advise but that seems good to me except maybe add one more glofish and one more neon to make the schools 6. 6 is the magic number when it comes to schooling fish :)

Oh and with the mollies and platys are you planning males? Females? Both?

12 hours after fish introduction

Fish look great this morning

ph 7.5
ammo, nitrite, and nitrate 0

Feeding fish will recheck tonight.

If I do not see any ammo by this weekend would it be safe to add more fish?
I just don't see how those little glofish are going to put out that much ammo.

Bigge_al said:
Fish look great this morning

ph 7.5
ammo, nitrite, and nitrate 0

Feeding fish will recheck tonight.

If I do not see any ammo by this weekend would it be safe to add more fish?
I just don't see how those little glofish are going to put out that much ammo.

If you get nitrAte readings by the weekend and NO ammonia or nitrIte in any tests then IMO you could add two or three more fish. But only if your params check out.

Maybe one more glofish and the two platys?

It may take a little while to start seeing ammonia; 5 little fish in a 30 gal can take a bit to show up but it will. I'd be careful about adding too many fish too soon, particularly high bioload fish like Platys and Mollys. A tank takes 4-8 weeks to properly cycle so if you add too many fish too fast you'll end up doing daily water changes to keep the fish alive.

librarygirl said:
It may take a little while to start seeing ammonia; 5 little fish in a 30 gal can take a bit to show up but it will. I'd be careful about adding too many fish too soon, particularly high bioload fish like Platys and Mollys. A tank takes 4-8 weeks to properly cycle so if you add too many fish too fast you'll end up doing daily water changes to keep the fish alive.

The op has a filter full of seeded media so hoping not to see any ammonia :)

39 hrs after introduction of fish

pH 7.6
Amm, nitrate, nitrite-0

one of my fish not looking so good very slow swimming, laying on bottom, and upside down and then righting himself.
Other four swimming fast and playing.

Back
Top Bottom