My 55 gallon Acrylic Resurfacing and Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice progress on the tank, I just bought a really cheap acrylic off of CL myself. It's got acrylic on the top also making access a bit difficult, but hopefully it'll come out half decent when done.

Thanks jeta! Mine is like that as well. The sanding and buffing on the inside was pretty difficult.

All I can say is: don't stick your head in there, 'cause it will get caught. XD

Yeah, I really did that. Clearly I wasn't thinking!

So I have a ton of course work due over the next two weeks, but I was looking at the black eco-complete substrate, and there's a guy selling 20lb bags of black eco-complete on ebay for 20 bucks plus free shipping! Is it worth ordering 3 bags from him, and doing an all eco-complete substrate, or do I need to cap it with something?

Okay guys, I just bought 80 lbs of eco-complete for this tank. I figure any extra could go into my 20 gallon planted tank. It should hopefully arrive Tuesday!!! The tank is finished and just needs the final cleaning before I start to scape and plant it for my Angelfish!

Super excited!

Update

Well guys and gals, the eco-complete came in, and it's all in the tank!
PPS-pro is ordered, and should be here by this Thursday!
I also ordered this light fixture:
Amazon.com: AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Freshwater Light - 48 in.: Pet Supplies

Which should be in by Friday. :dance:

Taking Rivercats advice, I also ordered two Giesemann bulbs for the fixture. The fixture comes with a pink bulb and a 6500k bulb, so I should be set if I decide that I don't like the look of duel Giesmann bulbs, I'll switch one out with the 6500k one. The bulbs should also be in by Thursday.

The mailman will hate me, I'm sure. :whistle:

Now here comes the fun part! The hardscape and the plants. Because the acrylic top is sealed to the aquarium, this will limit what I can put in the tank by size.

There are 2 18" X 6" holes so that's manageable at least. I'm going for a more natural look, so does anyone have any suggestions? I'm planning on putting driftwood in, but I am unsure if I should attempt any kind of rock with the acrylic tank. If you have any pictures you can post to give me ideas, please do!

My very rushed plant list (Please feel free to add or remove!)

Cryptocoryne, Wendtii
Rotala Magenta
Tiger Lotus (Red or Green?)
Various Anubias
Various Swords
Vallisneria spiralis
Dark Red Jungle Val
St. Elmo's fire (Maybe?)
Klenier Bar Sword

I'm also thinking I want to try to carpet... I should have enough light for that, along with dosing ferts and excel. What might be a good one? I was leaning toward either micro sword or clover. Thoughts? Suggestions? Down to earth ideas??!?!:popcorn:

So yesterday the bulbs came in, and today I got the PPS-pro and the excel... Now all I need is the fixture.

Hahaha Why is it the most important thing comes in last?!?!

Back
Top Bottom