my 55g rebuild/revamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
After a mysterious and devestating loss of over half my cichlid stock i am finally ready to get my show tank into great condition. So. Here is the anticipated plan. :ermm:

Substrate: black diamond blasting sand cut with Florite (i think).

I want to upgrade my lights. I'm thinking a dual 48" T5 fixture. I need to find a way to cover the rest of the top as the rate of evaporation in my apartment is awful. (My 10g loses about a gallon a day. It is uncovered) Any thoughts on how to cover the rest of the tank?

I'll be using seachem root tabs and dosing excel.... until I decide about co2. The goal is to have a heavily planted tank. As it stands, i kill java fern even when I am trying. Plants do not like me.

Stocking............. this part is tough. I want some different different fish, all juvies. My next door neighboor has a 150g that he has agreed to take in the fish when they out grow my 55g. I'm open to opinions, questions, and suggestions (on everything):
(1x) black ghost knife
(1x) peacock eel
(2x) spotted african leaf fish
(7x) boesemani rainbow fish
(5x) columbian tetras

I'm currently running a 405 with no carbon, but polyfil in its place. The current fish will be moving a day or so before the new fish come to maintain the bb. I don't think i left anything out, but let me know if you have any thoughts.

My tank as it is now. This is right after I added the sand awhile back

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120128_232056.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120128_232056.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120128_232231.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120128_232231.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
I was also thinking that given that the leaf fish, bgk, and eel are predators that I could also get about ten guppies and let them breed freely.

It seems that basic training may be in my future. Should I even bother redoing this knowing that in 6-8 months I may be gone for 3+ months?

True. I've opted for plastic plants for now.... And a massive amazon sword. I'll be upgrading lights to two dual t5 strips. I also grabbed two baby electric blue crayfish. I adore them. I'm currently fostering two three spot gouramis as well.

ForumRunner_20120212_141058.jpg

ForumRunner_20120212_141121.jpg

ForumRunner_20120212_141309.jpg

jkjl

I like it. In fact you gave me an idea. Did you just mix a bag of White sand with black sand? I like the way it looks.

bigbanker said:
After a mysterious and devestating loss of over half my cichlid stock i am finally ready to get my show tank into great condition. So. Here is the anticipated plan. :ermm:

Substrate: black diamond blasting sand cut with Florite (i think).

I want to upgrade my lights. I'm thinking a dual 48" T5 fixture. I need to find a way to cover the rest of the top as the rate of evaporation in my apartment is awful. (My 10g loses about a gallon a day. It is uncovered) Any thoughts on how to cover the rest of the tank?

I'll be using seachem root tabs and dosing excel.... until I decide about co2. The goal is to have a heavily planted tank. As it stands, i kill java fern even when I am trying. Plants do not like me.

Stocking............. this part is tough. I want some different different fish, all juvies. My next door neighboor has a 150g that he has agreed to take in the fish when they out grow my 55g. I'm open to opinions, questions, and suggestions (on everything):
(1x) black ghost knife
(1x) peacock eel
(2x) spotted african leaf fish
(7x) boesemani rainbow fish
(5x) columbian tetras

I'm currently running a 405 with no carbon, but polyfil in its place. The current fish will be moving a day or so before the new fish come to maintain the bb. I don't think i left anything out, but let me know if you have any thoughts.

Do u have a place that sells plexiglass? Just measure what u need and they'll cut to ur specs

Updated pictures..... Spray painted a backing to see if I liked the black. I do!

ForumRunner_20120216_231004.jpg

ForumRunner_20120216_231023.jpg

ForumRunner_20120216_231049.jpg
My crays had a battle while I was at work. I returned home to one who is now turning brown what's up with that

I know some crays change color with their diet so it may just be what he is eating. I've heard spirulina helps maintain blue coloration.

So..... No killer cray. I guess one molted. The gorgeous blue shell I found must have been from that. I saw the big boy cray this morning a lovely blue and then the smaller one who was brown.

Back
Top Bottom