My chemicals in fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonydiaz1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 gouramis 2 bala sharks 2 snails in my 7 gallon fluval tank.
My ph is at 7.2, nitrate and nitrite are at 0, my high range ph is 0.0, my amonia level is pretty high. What should i do? I dont want to lose my fish.
I have this chemical called prime says it reduces amonia. I just dont want to dump it in tank.
????????????
Need help

You are clearly not cycled ! WC WC WC everyday to keep fish safe. Go get Seachem Stability and add it to tank. Follow directions to add how much (you cannot overdose) With that many fish and that much poop, you should cycle quick
Prime is concentrated ! 2 drops per gallon makes ammonia not toxic but it is still there - O2 extra is needed too. Air stone
That tank isn't humanly big enough for bala sharks. They get over 12"
Same for Gouramies - in a 7 gallon , I would put 1

I have a new tank but I'm waiting to buy a stand for it. Is it ok to keep them in there for 1 more month.

I cycled with fish in and no deaths. As long as ammonia is in check should be ok. Once you see nitrItes show up, IMO, that's harder on fish than ammonia. Causes "brown blood disease" just keep up on WC. My 40g took 6 weeks to cycle. If you can get some seeded sponges or even better, bio-rings or matrix, from someone else's tank that will help too. It's all about getting BB to grow then your golden

I cycled with fish in and no deaths. As long as ammonia is in check should be ok. Once you see nitrItes show up, IMO, that's harder on fish than ammonia. Causes "brown blood disease" just keep up on WC. My 40g took 6 weeks to cycle. If you can get some seeded sponges or even better, bio-rings or matrix, from someone else's tank that will help too. It's all about getting BB to grow then your golden

What is WC?

Oh sorry - water change , you'll see that alot. Also BB is beneficial bacteria
You are awesome. I thank you so much for the advise. Should I really worry about wearing rubber gloves when doing a water change.

As long as you have no open cuts on your hands, simple washing your hands after dealing with the fish tank will suffice. Your more at risk of catching something from the snails then the fish.

Not to highjack but if we do have open cuts. I work with sheet metal so I always always have at the minimum a few nicks and cuts. I understand the danger of warm standing water but should I be doing more then just washing my hands after touching tank water. What I'm askin- would it be "common" to have parasites in a normally functioning healthy aquarium that we need to be aware of. Do you guys just treat your tank like you do dog waste or should I hazmat up before handling.

Not to highjack but if we do have open cuts. I work with sheet metal so I always always have at the minimum a few nicks and cuts. I understand the danger of warm standing water but should I be doing more then just washing my hands after touching tank water. What I'm askin- would it be "common" to have parasites in a normally functioning healthy aquarium that we need to be aware of. Do you guys just treat your tank like you do dog waste or should I hazmat up before handling.

No. I have chapped hands, nicks cuts scratches all the time. Only thing to be aware of is Mycobacterium - (google it. ). You'll be fine

Landlock, I do it all the time too and I have pond snails. I have a problem with different types of escemia and my hands are constantly chapped with cuts open. It's just safer to tell people that. Plus, Lake Erie is better now than what it was 10 years ago :)!

The chance of salmonella. Snails have a good chance of having that. Again, if you take good precautions, gloves are not needed. Especially since people don't clean their rubber gloves as you should.

Back
Top Bottom