My cycle progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am on day 7 of my 15g cycle and day 5 of the 29g. I tested this morning and had 4ppm ammonia and 0.25ppm NO2. I just tested that tank again and had 4ppm ammonia and 5ppm of NO2. The 29g this morning had 4ppm ammonia and no NO2, now it still has 4ppm ammonia and 0.25ppm NO2.

Sould I start seeing ammonia drop in the 15g soon? Does the NO2 stay high for a few days or will I see a decline tomorrow? I am assuming that it has peaked since the test card only goes to 5ppm. This is my first fishless and I am amazed how this works!

the ammonia should start down when the nitrites go up. its one or the other basically. if you have nitrites, it means that the ammonia is being converted. I'd say youre getting a false reading on one or the other if ammonia is still 4ppm

False reading...way to burst my bubble lol. I am going to test again soon so hopefully my ammonia drops. What should I do if the ammonia still test high? Sit back and curse the day I got my tank?

So I just tested everything again and in the 15g on day 8 I have: 3.0ppm ammonia, >5.0ppm NO2 and 40.0ppm NO3. For the 29g day 6 I have: 4.0ppm ammonia, 0.25ppm NO2 and 5.0ppm NO3. Is everything on track or completly cattywompus?

well, at least the ammonia is dropping in the 15g. do you have the heaters cranked up? that will speed up the cycle. also, what kind of test are you using? is it outdated or anything?

well you're just a week in to it... dont be dissapointed if it takes quite a bit longer. do you have any seed material you can add to speed it up?

No I just got back into the hobby so I am starting everything from scratch and I dont have any aquarium friends. I asked the lfs and they said they wouldnt sell me any media but did offer me "cycle". I am not sure how I feel about this "cycle" stuff, any thoughts?

personally, i dont like it. my thoughts are that since i know how the nitrogen cycle works, i know that the nitrifying bacteria need ammonia and oxygen to live. Unless that bottle has enough ammonia (which it obviously cant) and oxygen (in a sealed container? right!) you're buying a bottle of dead bacteria. just my opinion on it.

Update:

On day 9 of the 15g is where the 'magic' started. 3.0ppm NH3, >5.0ppm NO2 and 160ppm NO3. That was taken first thing in the morning. At 1930hrs I had the following: 1.0ppm NH3!! So I dosed back to 4.0ppm NO3, no other NO2/NO3 test were preformed. Day 10 0700hrs 1.0ppm NH3!! >5.0ppm NO2 and >160ppm NO3.

Sadly, the 29g on day 7 is still reading 4.0ppm NH3. Although the readings for day 7 of the 15g are the same as day 7 of the 29g. I did not see a drop in NH3 until day 8.

I have a few questions, all pertaining to the 15g.

I am going to wait until 1930hrs and retest NH3 and if my readings are 0.0ppm or at least <1.0ppm I am going to redose to 4.0ppm. Correct?

Right now I am just waiting for the NO2 drop, correct?

Will the NO3 drop or is this done with a PWC?

Back
Top Bottom