My cycling tank is a PH of 8, another tank is also, so is tapwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmdfunk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank that is cycling and is a PH of 8 with the freswater master test kit. I have another small 2.5 gallon betta tank that has been running for a month, and it is an 8 also. WHen I test the tap water, it was reading at like 7.8. I have a bowl of water sitting out to outgas and test in a few days, but I am alarmed. I want to get Danios, Tetras, Guppies, and shrimp when my tank is cycled, but that is a pretty high PH. What do I do to reliably have it lower? or will the PH stabilize lower when the cycle is done, and will I find a lower tap water PH after it has offgased?

Odds are you'll need to bring that pH down manually, as it's too high for most fish and they may struggle to adjust. Carefully measured doses of hydrochloric or phosphoric acid may work, though this method leave the tank more vulnerable to pH swings. Driftwood and live plants could bring it down gently over time as well. I'm not sure of other methods other than chemical solutions sold in stores.

Tap Water Chemistry

Hello gmd...

Most, if not all fish available at the local pet stores will do fine in the vast majority of public tap water supplies. Unless you plan to keep and breed rare fish, the chemical make up the water in your tap isn't important. You don't need to fret over the pH, hardness or any of that. Just use a water treatment like Seachem's "Safe" to remove the chlorine and chloramine the public water people put into the water to make it safe to drink. Don't attempt to change the water chemistry, you could harm your fish. Just remove and replace half the water weekly, to remove dissolved wastes and your fish will be fine.

B

Thats what my LFS said when I called them. they just use local water and their fish do fine.

Back
Top Bottom