My First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're using a water changer, you can add Prime directly to your tank. Dose the amount of Prime based on the entire volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing. Here's how I do it with my Python-

- Turn off filter. This prevents the raw tap water from being sucked up into your bio-filter before the Prime neutralizes it)
- Drain water / gravel vac with Python
- Add Prime directly to the tank based on total volume of your tank (mine is 46 gallon, so I add ~ a full capful)
- Swish the Prime around with my hand
- Refill the tank with temperature matched water (using your hand to match temp is fine)
- Plug the filter back in

Yeah. On the bottle it says a 2x dose can be used safely. And 5x in an emergency. I just add some extra drops straight into my aquarium sometimes.

It makes ammonia and nitrite safe for fish for 24-like38 hours. But it'll still show up the same on your water tests and it'll still be available for your bacteria in your cycle

KeeperOfFish said:
Oh ok thanks I wasn't sure.

Did you get the water changer?

Edit: I should have read further back.

Last edited:
eco23 said:
If you're using a water changer, you can add Prime directly to your tank. Dose the amount of Prime based on the entire volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing. Here's how I do it with my Python-

- Turn off filter. This prevents the raw tap water from being sucked up into your bio-filter before the Prime neutralizes it)
- Drain water / gravel vac with Python
- Add Prime directly to the tank based on total volume of your tank (mine is 46 gallon, so I add ~ a full capful)
- Swish the Prime around with my hand
- Refill the tank with temperature matched water (using your hand to match temp is fine)
- Plug the filter back in

Eco beat me again. I was about to give the same advice....

Hey, I'll be happy to send the mollies to you, but it'd probably be a whole lot better on the babies if you cycle your tank first. :) you're in good hands with Eco. Follow his instructions, and when your cycled I'd be happy to award you with some mollies. :)

Hey, I'll be happy to send the mollies to you, but it'd probably be a whole lot better on the babies if you cycle your tank first. :) you're in good hands with Eco. Follow his instructions, and when your cycled I'd be happy to award you with some mollies. :)

this is true haha:)
Im starting cycling as soon as i can......unfortuntely my parents are divorced and my tank is at my moms and its hard to give instructions on cycling over phone to my mother....ill be home on friday and will begin cycling though

KeeperOfFish said:
this is true haha:)
Im starting cycling as soon as i can......unfortuntely my parents are divorced and my tank is at my moms and its hard to give instructions on cycling over phone to my mother....ill be home on friday and will begin cycling though

The tank is stocked now? Be aware that a tank will begin cycling with or without you. It is not something you can wait to begin if you already have fish. The difference is whether you will be able to perform the water changes that are necessary to keep your fish healthy and not suffering during the process. Maybe you can convince your Mom it's a good way to get exercise changing 50% of the water every day? Unfortunately, that's really the only option here if there are fish in the tank and you want them to stay healthy...sorry :-(

The tank is stocked now? Be aware that a tank will begin cycling with or without you. It is not something you can wait to begin if you already have fish. The difference is whether you will be able to perform the water changes that are necessary to keep your fish healthy and not suffering during the process. Maybe you can convince your Mom it's a good way to get exercise changing 50% of the water every day? Unfortunately, that's really the only option here if there are fish in the tank and you want them to stay healthy...sorry :-(

ok:( i will try to get her to do some water changes she might not be able to though or wont do it right......i called to check on my fish today and they were all still alive and happy she said.....my cousin is giving me a 20 gallon and while i was cycling my 40 or atleast trying to i am going to cycle the 20 gallon and maybe temporarily put my fish in it after im done and then empty out and clean my 40 gallon and do a fishless cycle. Do you think thats a good idea or just leave them in and let it cycle and do water changes daily?? i really dont want them to die..:(

KeeperOfFish said:
ok:( i will try to get her to do some water changes she might not be able to though or wont do it right......i called to check on my fish today and they were all still alive and happy she said.....my cousin is giving me a 20 gallon and while i was cycling my 40 or atleast trying to i am going to cycle the 20 gallon and maybe temporarily put my fish in it after im done and then empty out and clean my 40 gallon and do a fishless cycle. Do you think thats a good idea or just leave them in and let it cycle and do water changes daily?? i really dont want them to die..:(

A tank begins cycling the moment you put the first fish (or drops of ammonia for a fishless cycle) into the tank. If you have fish in there, it's very important to do enough water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrIte level as low as possible (preferably below .25) until the tank cycles.

Chances are the tank that already has fish will cycle before you can fishless cycle the other. Simply moving the fish over to another smaller uncycled tank would only make things more difficult because there is less room and the ammonia the fish produce will build up even faster.

Here's your best option...get lots and lots of "seeded" media from friends, stores and family that have established fish tanks. Material that comes from the filter of another established tank will have lots of beneficial bacteria that will help cycle your tank very quickly and keep your fish safe.

In the mean time, just do your best to do water changes as much as possible. With all the fish you have, I'd say 50% changes daily are going to be the minimum necessary. Try to sweet talk your Mom into carrying some buckets for you :)

A tank begins cycling the moment you put the first fish (or drops of ammonia for a fishless cycle) into the tank. If you have fish in there, it's very important to do enough water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrIte level as low as possible (preferably below .25) until the tank cycles.

Chances are the tank that already has fish will cycle before you can fishless cycle the other. Simply moving the fish over to another smaller uncycled tank would only make things more difficult because there is less room and the ammonia the fish produce will build up even faster.

Here's your best option...get lots and lots of "seeded" media from friends, stores and family that have established fish tanks. Material that comes from the filter of another established tank will have lots of beneficial bacteria that will help cycle your tank very quickly and keep your fish safe.

In the mean time, just do your best to do water changes as much as possible. With all the fish you have, I'd say 50% changes daily are going to be the minimum necessary. Try to sweet talk your Mom into carrying some buckets for you :)
when i got my tank everything had already been used so maybe some good stuff came from that into the water....but tomorrow im going to call her definitely try and get her to carry buckets around for me.....and as the finding used stuff from friends and family i dont know anyone who has old stuff:(...i sent her a shopping list with seachem prime and api master test kit on it so she will get that soon and maybe i can get her to use it and tell me the levels

Did the filters and things stay wet when you set up the tank or was everything dry? If it was all wet and there had been fish in the tank not too long before...you may be okay. Water changes are still pretty necessary though, IMO, until you get a test kit and check your levels.

the stuff was pretty dry but was wet only a couple days before....i will do lots of water changes as soon as i can:/ this stuff about cycling is a good thing for pet stores to mention..

KeeperOfFish said:
the stuff was pretty dry but was wet only a couple days before....i will do lots of water changes as soon as i can:/ this stuff about cycling is a good thing for pet stores to mention..

Unfortunately, if it dries it dies :-(. Water changes are what you'll need to get done, especially with as many fish as you have in there.

The pet stores wouldn't make as much money if they told you about it. That way they couldn't sell you fish to replace the ones that die, untrustworthy "instant cycling" products, chemicals you don't need to alter your water, medicines to cure illness they shouldn't have, etc... It is very sad, but it's the way things work.

You're doing a great thing by joining the site and educating yourself to avoid situations like this in the future. The fact you care so much shows you have what it takes to be a great fish keeper in the future. :)

oh crap:( well water changes for me....lots and lots

my mom said all my fish are still alive at 10 something so thats good

and stupid cruel fish stores and products and such makes me sad and they seemed so helpful at Petsmart ughhh:/

and thanks that made me feel better:) i hope to have a whole bunch of tanks of wide sizes and warieties in my future:)

KeeperOfFish said:
oh crap:( well water changes for me....lots and lots

my mom said all my fish are still alive at 10 something so thats good

and stupid cruel fish stores and products and such makes me sad and they seemed so helpful at Petsmart ughhh:/

and thanks that made me feel better:) i hope to have a whole bunch of tanks of wide sizes and warieties in my future:)

Everything good or bad is a learning experience. Many people consider "new tank syndrome" as an unavoidable thing simply because they haven't put in the effort to realize what causes it. You're already on the right track, and I'm sure all the fish you have in the future will appreciate it. Now to think how you're going to sweet talk Mom :)

Thanks for all your advice and tips im so greatful to you! Now i can keep my fish healthy:) yay! Future and Present

Im thinking telling her ill do chores and such for her around the house....
Plus ill tell her if she doesnt she will have to spend more money on fish lol :lol::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Are your oto's in the tank already? Chances are in a new tank like this there isn't enough algae for them to survive. Make sure to supplement them with a high quality algae wafer and blanched zucchini. ;)

Are your oto's in the tank already? Chances are in a new tank like this there isn't enough algae for them to survive. Make sure to supplement them with a high quality algae wafer and blanched zucchini. ;)

They were part of my original group and have been in from the start.....they have been my most succesful fish but i will get the stuff they need to survive

i added photos in my gallery of my current tank!
there horrible pics though and theres more in my gallery

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0089.jpg