My First Tank and I Think Something Is Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dskidmore said:
J-Aqua said:
However, I noticed something that I havent seen. After the water change (the 5th one) about 2 hours after that I noticed a small layer of like bubbles on the very top of the water. It was only on the glass of the tank and only on the front of the tank. I am not sure what that was?

Thxs,
J
When you pour water out of the faucet, it goes through an "areator" and absorbs alot of air. In the process of pouring the water into the tank, it may absorb even more air. The hypersaturated air will escape in the form of bubbles on solid surfaces. This effect is greater if the water is too cold. Make sure your replacement water is a similar temperature as the tank water. As long as you don't have a temperature problem, this is something completely harmless and normal.

I pretty much matched the temprature in the tank with the water coming outta the foset. It never goes below 76 degrees. and never goes higher then 80 degrees. During the day the tank usually sits at 78 and in the morning its about 76.

J

J-Aqua -

Good job man! You are on the road to recovery. If you have any sea salt, kosher salt or table salt without iodine in it, as JChillin said, that will work.
Plecos are very, very sensitive to ammonia in my experience. I lost a few that way in the beginning. I started out much like you did, knowing little, and learning a lot. Unfortunately, I also killed a lot of fish due to my ignorance.
I would not worry about the bubbles.
Just keep things up and get a test kit (liquid reagent, not strips) as soon as you can.

dskidmore said:
If you can't get to the pet store for aquarium salt, any kosher, non-iodized salt will do in a pinch. Aquarium salt is more balanced, but non-iodized salt has the required Cl- ions to reduce the effect of nitrite poisoning.
MyCatsDrool said:
If you have any sea salt, kosher salt or table salt without iodine in it, as JChillin said, that will work.
Should I be flattered you get me confused with a real expert? :)

Back
Top Bottom