Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

follow premative peat instructions

Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your Nitrites are very high as expected to oxydize the ammonia...IMO perhaps a 20% and test tomorrow to see if the ammonia is closer to zero, and NItrites are lower or higher...trying to determine if they have spiked out yet...or still building. At this stage of the game its not exact amounts that count...more the idea of finding what the nitrates are doing. How long have been cycling your tank and are you going to have plants? see concern with high PH yes do 50% and with no fish just smile... PP

Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremativePeat View Post
Your Nitrites are very high as expected to oxydize the ammonia...IMO perhaps a 20% and test tomorrow to see if the ammonia is closer to zero, and NItrites are lower or higher...trying to determine if they have spiked out yet...or still building. At this stage of the game its not exact amounts that count...more the idea of finding what the nitrates are doing. How long have been cycling your tank and are you going to have plants? PP
Thanks PP - I already have plants and bogwood (one piece of bogwood has 2 plants on and is from a cycled tank). The tank has been cycling for about 10 days so far.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

AndyN, and other members, I'm new on this forum and really don't have much history with forum's Please forgive me if I'm not following any protocall, for I just seen a subject I have experience with and jumpped on it. And 10 days into a cycle with good nitrates up and coming...that is great. The reason I mention Prime, is more for future water changes as you don't want chlorine to ever get into your tank even for a short amount of time...it will kill your bacteria that has been so carefully developed. and It will bind the ammonia but still make it available to your plants...though it takes longer for them to consume...something about binding them does slow the available process just a little bit. Now for faster available ammonia just get tap water conditioner think its by api...it breaks Chloramine bond and destroyies the chlorine but leaves the ammonia and does it immediate...not time for chlorine to hurt your cycle. PP
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is fishless don't bother with the water change, it's just more work for you. Do a water change if nitrite goes off the chart. Other than that leave it alone and dose ammonia back up.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #16

Thanks PP - I'm new here too, but IMO if you know the answer and can help others then get on it!! I have done a 20% pwc so will test again tomorrow. As for chlorine I use something called aquasafe by tetra.

So what should I be looking for in my test tomorrow if things are moving forward!?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #17

Thanks blert - just done the change - oh well, all good practice! Dosed up my ammonia again will see what tomorrow brings!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

My applogies blert, Your correct it has been a while since I cycled a tank, and yes you do want to raise the ammonia back up to 5 ppm. and with no fish...a water change is not required...Please forgive my haste to post...I too must learn from my mistakes. PP
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

It's all good PP - it's only a 20% change of a 120L so took about 5 mins
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea, but my foot don't taste good...needs more salt or something. PP

Tags
test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com