My Fish Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one rosy red minnow in a half gallon fish bowl. The worker at the store said it was okay

It is not ok. The petstores do stuff like that. I saved some fish at petsmart a few weeks ago. They were doomed because of the petstore employees.

Can you help?

I have one Rosy Red Minnow in my half gallon fish bowl. How can i manage this tank well because i have already been told it is not good.

GodFan said:
It is not ok. The petstores do stuff like that. I saved some fish at petsmart a few weeks ago. They were doomed because of the petstore employees.
They get a new order in every week, so they likely replaced them with more.
eduguy said:
I have one Rosy Red Minnow in my half gallon fish bowl. How can i manage this tank well because i have already been told it is not good.
I'd do daily water changes and get a bigger tank and filter ASAP, a 10g would suffice.

The thing is it a bowl not a tank so you can have a filter where nitrifying bacteria can live so I would +1 on daily water changes o avoid ammonia poisoning. Until you upgrade I suggest slightly under feeding

water changes are only a short term plan. You will need to get a bigger tank with the proper equipment.

In something that size you will need to do daily water changes, be sure to temp match and condition the water properly to avoid shocking your fish.

I'd also suggest you do some research on your fish on your own and figure out it's best needs. Tank size, proper feeding and social habits(I believe they are schooling fish)

How long do you think it could live without a bigger tank and can you make sure the waters is the same temp.

How long do you think it could live without a bigger tank and can you make sure the waters is the same temp.

honestly I'm not sure. I do not know much about minnows. I'm not sure how hardy they are and how they will handle the stress put on them. I'd aim to get the tank as soon as possible and in the mean time learn about the cycling process you will need to go through when you set it up.

You can just hand match the temp. When I do water changes I just match the water coming from the faucet(into my bucket) to the temp in the tank with my hand as best I can. Then add it to the tank.

I actually know about the nitrogen cycle already. I am pretty sure it goes fish waste>ammonia>nitrites>nitrates and then you remove that in water changes. Am i right? I have read alot of fish books:)

Haha, I went to {mod edit} last week and there were atleast 4 dead feeder fish in each tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct. The problem in the bowl is that it cannot do this effectively due to lack of bio filtration. The small water volume also poses a problem. Oxygenation is an issue as well.
So if i bought a air pump they would do better? And do they eat Goldfish food because that is what the guy at petsmart said they ate. Currently i am feeding the fish tropical fish food

They get a new order in every week, so they likely replaced them with more.

I'd do daily water changes and get a bigger tank and filter ASAP, a 10g would suffice.
Sorry Jeta I didnt phrase that well. Our store was selling 2 red minors to a couple with a tiger oscar. I stopped them....
To OP those fish would do best in a 20 gallon or bigger. They are pretty active I think.

eduguy, your fish will die soon, adding an air stone/pump/whatever will only slightly help.

It's the ammonia and nirites that are poisonous to a fish. The smaller the tank, the less water, the quicker the poisons build up. For a fish to thrive they need a filter, a heater, a light source, an air stone, swimming areas and hiding places, as well as regular water changes and testing of water for the poisons (again, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) oh and don't forget food!

If you can't or chose not to add some of the above elements, your fish will have a shortened lifespan. It's not inexpensive and it does involve a little bit of your time.

Take the fish back if you don't want to commit to owning a living being who needs you to care for it.

I will buy a bigger tank soon. And i do lots of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom