My fish has something wrong with it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lleversmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Dalmation molley has a swollen eye. Instead of being flat on his face its puffed out. The area that is puffed out is clear and he doesnt seem to be in pain, he still swims around and does everything normally. Just the deformity. Should i be worried about my other fish in the tank? By the way he is the only one with the deformity.

Lleversmann said:
My Dalmation molley has a swollen eye. Instead of being flat on his face its puffed out. The area that is puffed out is clear and he doesnt seem to be in pain, he still swims around and does everything normally. Just the deformity. Should i be worried about my other fish in the tank? By the way he is the only one with the deformity.

I had something like this happen to one of my neons a couple weeks ago. It's called pop-eye. Check your water parameters...if they're good it most likely an injury that got inflamed. It can be caused by an infection, but in my case he probably just scraped his eye on something.

I put him in QT for a week to be safe, and it slowly went back to normal. he's back in the main tank and I can't even tell which one it was anymore :)

One thing to watch out for though...the other fish in the tank will pick on a sick one. I'd recommend putting him in a QT to let him recover, and also in case it is being caused by something contagious.

I didn't have a suitable QT, so I made a makeshift one where I took a small betta tank (you could probably even use a bucket), I put some of the gravel and filter material from my main tank and added an airstone to keep the water moving and oxygenated. I did twice a day pwc's with water from my main tank.

Is your tank cycled? I think I remember seeing one of your other threads. Do you know your ammo, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH?

Amo is .25, nitrite and nitrate are both 0 and ph is 7.4. Thats the ph straight out of the tab so it's within normal parameters for my tank.

Lleversmann said:
Amo is .25, nitrite and nitrate are both 0 and ph is 7.4. Thats the ph straight out of the tab so it's within normal parameters for my tank.

I don't want to turn this into a cycling thread because I know you've already gotten info on it...but obviously your tank is miles away from being cycled. Are you sure your tests are accurate? Are you using an API test kit? If it's test strips you can't trust the numbers at all. If your tank is cycling the parameters are not good and can be causing stress and result in other causes of pop-eye other than injury. I'd still try to make him a temporary quarantine tank and monitor the other fish closely.

You've probably seen it, but check out this thread if you haven't...http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Actually I lied, I just now tested everything. My ammo is .25 the nitrite is 5.0 and the nitrate is 20..... I need to do a pwc huh? Or will that be a bad thing?

A pwc is absolutely mandatory. I'd do 2 back to back 50% pwc's. You've got to get the levels down immediately.

Read that link about cycling with fish I linked earlier. The name of the game is constant, daily pwc's. Because the nitrItes are so high I wouldn't be surprised if the pop-eye is caused by stress or some other type of infection. I'd QT him, do pwc's like a crazy person and keep a close watch on the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom