My fish just died! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my red wag platies, which I've had for two days, just died. He was hiding in the plants as he had been, and I assumed he was just shy, but then he shot to the surface and I saw that he had white slime all over the bottom of his body. He started rolling over and swimming around frantically, and he stayed near the surface. I quickly netted him and put him in a small bowl to try to help him, but he died.
I thought he might have been sick when I saw him pooping stringy white poop the first day I brought him home, but the medicine hasn't shipped yet and I wasn't able to treat him.
What was wrong with him? Is it ich?
I have another platy and four tetras in the tank. Will they be okay? I don't have a quarantine tank, so I can't take them out.
I'm really upset and scared and I don't and I don't know what to do.

Update: I was looking in the tank for the other platy to see if he was okay, and I found a piece of wood covered in white slime. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpg
    IMG_6056.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 69
If it looked fuzzy then a fungus issue.
If it did not look fuzzy I would treat tank for columnaris.
There are many links this disease.Most I link are like 4 page boring science crap...
This one is decent on info and to the reader;
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
How old is the tank?
Do you do your own test kit ,and know your parameters?
Don't get more fish until at least 30 days of healthy tank [completely].
The slime on the wood is unrelated to the fish issue I guarantee it.
What meds did you order for the fish.

Tank is three days old. I have a test kit and parameters look fine yesterday and the day before, other than PH and GH being a little high. Will test again in a bit.
Turns out my mom didn't order the meds so we're going to the fish store now, what medicine should I get? I was thinking of Tetra or Jungle LifeGuard...

If it looked fuzzy then a fungus issue.
If it did not look fuzzy I would treat tank for columnaris.
There are many links this disease.Most I link are like 4 page boring science crap...
This one is decent on info and to the reader;
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
How old is the tank?
Do you do your own test kit ,and know your parameters?
Don't get more fish until at least 30 days of healthy tank [completely].
The slime on the wood is unrelated to the fish issue I guarantee it.
What meds did you order for the fish.
She has a thread about why she has fish in the tank right now- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353300

Dreamin, the biggest issue you're facing here is that your tank is cycling. I do suspect there are parasite issues as well, but there's a reason that fish-in cycles are now considered inhumane.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. I know you are doing your best. Even doing your best, you might lose more fish. Keep asking questions, though.

Back
Top Bottom