my fishless cycle log 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well this is my first log ever. So i just wanted to keep a log so here goes. Also i only started this log after 3 weeks because a user wanted to see my readings because it might be a stalled tank so here are my readings. I will keep updating from days to come. Thanks for looking.

Day 1
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 5+ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm
Ph 7.2+

If you ever think you're stalled a PWC could do the trick. What is your water temp and what kind of dechlorinator as you using? I would redose the ammonia to 4ppm after the PWC.

Deckape said:
If you ever think you're stalled a PWC could do the trick. What is your water temp and what kind of dechlorinator as you using? I would redose the ammonia to 4ppm after the PWC.

Ive done 2 75% pwc. Water temp is 83-86 F. Tetra aqua safe plus. I also did redose.

Just saw in the othe post you have you are using something other than Seachem Prime. Most more experienced aquarists use Prime because it temporary detoxifies the ammonia to give the beneficial bacteria time to gobble it up. Ammonia also is a result of the breaking of the chloramine bond from tap water. Most municipalities use chloramine to treat tap water to keep people healthy. In my opinion Prime is best. I tried all the others too, prime is the best I have used. I wont use anything else now.

Great! You will be back on your way in no time. The last post wasn't a sales pitch. It's simply the best. Stay in touch and thanks for fishless cycling!

Deckape said:
Just saw in the othe post you have you are using something other than Seachem Prime. Most more experienced aquarists use Prime because it temporary detoxifies the ammonia to give the beneficial bacteria time to gobble it up. Ammonia also is a result of the breaking of the chloramine bond from tap water. Most municipalities use chloramine to treat tap water to keep people healthy. In my opinion Prime is best. I tried all the others too, prime is the best I have used. I wont use anything else now.

Yes i am thinking about buying it. I will be going to my lfs today

orandafan12 said:
Day 2
Ammomia 0ppm
Nitrites 5+ ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Ph not testes

You probally should do more PWCs to get the nitrites to a readable level and dose to 4ppm ammonia. What type of ammonia are you using?

Deckape said:
You probally should do more PWCs to get the nitrites to a readable level and dose to 4ppm ammonia. What type of ammonia are you using?

Janitorial strength from ace hardware

orandafan12 said:
Janitorial strength from ace hardware

That's what I was hoping you would say..pheew. That is the kind I used.

Deckape said:
That's what I was hoping you would say..pheew. That is the kind I used.

So just did a 90% pwc and i got the nitrites beetween .5 and 1 ppm. Woohoo!!

So i did a pwc yesterday and i also re added ammo.This is what i got.
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 2+ ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
Ph not tested

orandafan12 said:
So i did a pwc yesterday and i also re added ammo.This is what i got.
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 2+ ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
Ph not tested

Are you dosing back up? Did you read the link about fishless cycling in my signature yet?

Day 5 re added ammonia yesterday to 4 ppm.
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 5+ppm
Nitrate 5-10 ppm
Ph not tested

Day 6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 5+ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
Ph not test
Any suggestions?

Day 7
I did a water change and got nitrites to .5 before this. And also re added ammo yesterday.
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 2+ ppm
Nitrate 5+ ppm
Ph not tested

Back
Top Bottom