My fishless cycle log (fast forwarded some)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DAY 30
Ammonia: 0.25ppm (dropped from 4ppm in about 12 hours)
NO2: back to 4-5ppm (down from off the charts without PWC)
NO3: off the charts (up from about 60-80ppm)

So looks like that weird blue I had in NO2 was off the charts... I had that reading two times in a row... today I got back to a dark purple (meaning my NO2 is dropping some)... my NO3 is now off the charts. My ammonia is dropping from 4ppm to 0.25ppm in the course of about 8-12 hours.

I'm getting close... still a little ways to go, but man it feels good to be getting this close!

Nope. Mine took 4 months. I think I still hold the record. :) That's how Eco came to starting to suggest adding the minerals. I was the guinea pig lol.

Well I appreciate you being my test subject lol! So far the replenish and the sponge filter are what made the difference for me.

DAY 31
AMMONIA: 0PPM
NO2: 0PPM
NO3: OFF THE CHARTS

So... yesterday my NO2 was about 4ppm after it came down from being off the charts... tonight (24 hours later) my NO2 is 0ppm. My Ammonia is also 0ppm instead of the usual 0.25ppm. Also my NO3 is now off the charts.

So I dosed back up to 4ppm again... when should I check to see if it's ammonia 0ppm and NO2 0ppm... again tomorrow night? Or in the morning (about 10 hours from now)?

Thoughts?

millerb7 said:
DAY 31
AMMONIA: 0PPM
NO2: 0PPM
NO3: OFF THE CHARTS

So... yesterday my NO2 was about 4ppm after it came down from being off the charts... tonight (24 hours later) my NO2 is 0ppm. My Ammonia is also 0ppm instead of the usual 0.25ppm. Also my NO3 is now off the charts.

So I dosed back up to 4ppm again... when should I check to see if it's ammonia 0ppm and NO2 0ppm... again tomorrow night? Or in the morning (about 10 hours from now)?

Thoughts?

Check it 24 hours after the ammonia has been added. If it's double zeroes...enjoy your cycled tank :D

Check it 24 hours after the ammonia has been added. If it's double zeroes...enjoy your cycled tank :D

Hmmm... I'm like PRAYING my NO2 and ammonia are 0 tonight when I check them.... that way I'll have time to do a big 90% PWC to get the NO3 down and turn the temp down and be ready for fish in another 2-3 days.

I tell you what... it's been a long journey, but I couldn't even imagine doing this "fish-in"... all the water changes would have been HORRID.

Day 32:
Ammonia: 0 (22 hours after I dosed it back to 4-5ppm)
NO2: 0 (still 0 from yesterday even after dosing ammonia back up)
NO3: off the charts
pH: 8.2

Well... second day of ammonia=0 and NO2=0. NO3 is off the charts. I want to buy some fish tomorrow or Saturday... what's the next step?

Should I dose ammonia back to 1ppm just to keep the BB fed? I know I need to do a HUGE PWC to get my NO3 back to under 20ppm and turn my temp back down to 76.

When do I totally stop feeding ammonia?

I would just like to add that in my personal opinion, the two things that REALLY made my cycle go REAL fast were the addition of the Seachem Replenish and the Active Sponge Filter.

Literally days after I added them my cycle was going nuts.

Literally the very next day my NO2 & NO3 started moving in the right direction, and 6 days after adding each, I feel my cycle is completed. Should have done that from the beginning ;)

Great job! :D

I wouldn't worry about dosing the ammonia back up unless it will be more than a couple days before adding fish. Just get the no3 down below 20 and enjoy :)

I think the AP filter is mostly responsible...but I'd like to believe the Replenish did provide a perfect environment for the bacteria to colonize. After all, once things got moving...it happened silly fast. The AP sponges may be loaded with BB, but I guarantee they don't come out of the package prepared to chew through 4ppm of ammonia.

Great job! :D

I wouldn't worry about dosing the ammonia back up unless it will be more than a couple days before adding fish. Just get the no3 down below 20 and enjoy :)

I think the AP filter is mostly responsible...but I'd like to believe the Replenish did provide a perfect environment for the bacteria to colonize. After all, once things got moving...it happened silly fast. The AP sponges may be loaded with BB, but I guarantee they don't come out of the package prepared to chew through 4ppm of ammonia.

Yeah... it was INSANE. I mean literally 24 hours after I added them both... I had NO2 & NO3 growth rapidly. 6 days later... well 5 days technically, day 6 was just to be sure... it was all finished.

5 day cycle really isn't so bad lol!

DAY 25
AMMONIA: 2-4PPM - didn't dose more
NO2: didn't check
NO3: 5ppm (tap water)
pH: didn't check
Added in ACTIVE SPONGE FILTER

GOOD NEWS!!!

DAY 26 | DAY 1 ACTIVE SPONGE | DAY 0 REPLENISH
Ammonia: down to 1ppm dosed back up to 4ppm
NO2: basically off the charts, maybe at 4ppm (HUGE JUMP) from before... a relatively dark purple
NO3: About 30ppm
pH: didn't check

Man after reading this i'm glad i ordered the active filters! I've got a 29 too and have been unable to cycle...I ordered BOTH the 3" and the 4"...looks like i over did it...but better to over then under

I am a bit worried, its sitting on my porch in 45 degree weather right now waiting for me to get off work and put it in my tank

Back
Top Bottom