My friend saw my tank and got a 5g for himself. I'm going to stock it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After seeing my tanks, my friend got himself a 5g bowfront for his desk. I told him nano tanks are not the best, but he got one anyway :ermm:

The good thing is I get to stock it, and stock it correctly.:)

We have a tight budget to work with, and I will get all the fish via Aquabid or other online sellers because the LFS is awful! $50 max on fish.

If you had to stock a nano tank on a budget, what would you choose?

I have Endlers I can give him for free, but he's not keen on them. Think they're too spazzy.
A betta is cheap too....

Are you going to give him some media from your tank to help him cycle it and teach him about cycling? :brows: That's great that he has someone to help him along. As you mentioned a 5 gal tank isn't too large. Other than nano fish (ember tetra, chili rasbora, etc) and the Endler's there probably isn't much else beside a betta. I'm not super knowledgeable about stocking though so maybe someone else will chime in with some options. It's great you're helping your friend. :D

I have a 5g and the stock options I am considering are a dwarf crayfish with celestial pearl danios, or else a dwarf puffer.
The fish librarygirl and dragonfish suggested are great too. I would only recommend a puffer if your friend is devoted to it, because they need rather specific care.

I have a feeling I will be the one taking care of the tank while he just drools. He'll get the hang of it soon enough. I couldn't let him take care of stocking it himself, last time my roommate did that it was horrible! 10 glass catfish in a 3g container :(

Anyways, yes he will get substrate, filter media, tank water and plants from my tanks.

A dwarf crayfish will probably keep him the most entertained and they are not very expensive on Aquabid.

Decided on sparkling gourami or a crayfish. I personally want to try a sparkling gourami so I'm looking around for them :)

Can 1 peacock gudgeon live in a 5?
I also considered Badis but if they want only frozen/live food I would not do a very good job at giving them varied diet.

Thank you for contributing! :)

Decided on sparkling gourami or a crayfish. I personally want to try a sparkling gourami so I'm looking around for them :)

Can 1 peacock gudgeon live in a 5?
I also considered Badis but if they want only frozen/live food I would not do a very good job at giving them varied diet.

Thank you for contributing! :)
Both of those options sounds good. :) I think the sparklers are sooooo cute. But, the crays are pretty darn cool. Sorry, don't have any idea about the gudgeon, but somebody else probably does. I have heard the same thing about badis more than once. Sparklers are cool though!

After researching sparklers even more, it seems they may not live well in my super hard water :( i have never had a problem with fish not acclimating to my water, or dying after acclimation, but it seems that all my google searches come up with aquarists that don't have luck with these fish in hard water.
Oh poo. I'd hate to buy them online and then have them not fare well :(

I mean, with hard water and ph 8.4-8.6. I don't have issues with harlequin rasboras, bettas, cories. But maybe sparklers are more sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom