my goldfish ... aka the god of destruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish jihad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im cycling my new 30 gallon. I got 6 cardinal tetras. 6 black skirt tetras. 1 peppered cory. 1 female convict cichlid and a new species i am calling Vishnu, the Hindew goddess of destrction. Yes, my big dumb walmart goldfish. Got him for my son. Now thats ive upgraded i found out how messy these suckers are. My pristine aquascape looks like a tornado went through. Except my tornado never stops.
Im trying to talk my wife into re-homing him. The amount of dust and crap he is stirring up in this cycling tank has me worried. Im looking for advice on how to control the damage so the other fish arent so stressed.
I though about clarifiers but dont want that stuff in my tank if possible. So im leaning toward a second HOB (C3 fluval) to help filter the dust devils. Any ideas on an unruly goldfish?

Oh yeah. Freshly planted with hairgrass and baby dwarf tears. 79 watts on t5 HO goodness. And excel. So far nobody but the golsfish even lloks at the plants. Not even the cichlid

I would consider rehoming the goldfish either to another tank of equal size or to someone/some place else. I am assuming you are running a heater for the rest of the fish (tropical) and the goldfish will suffer because of this.
Also, smaller plants will continued to get harassed by the goldfish.

Good point on the heater. Didnt even think of that one. Poor dude.

Back
Top Bottom