My Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my dream to get a 75 Gallon Saltwater tank is not going so well. But, I have an idea for an equally as beautiful 55-75 Gallon freshwater tank. This is my stock that I want for this idea tank of mine...
1 Electric Blue Cichlid
1 Yellow Lab Cichlid
1 Pictus Catfish
1 Some type of Pleco

I want it to have multiple species of plants and to have sand and driftwood to make look as natural as possible. Also I want to make a slate cave. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not sure if the fish can live together or not advice would be helpful. Thanks

I think your stock idea works well together.

I would recommend a plated Pleco as the Cichlids may pick on him.

As for the Pictus Catfish, they are very rambunctious and need open space to race around. They may tear up some of your plants if heavily planted.(Also the Cichlids may dig up some of your plants) this is just my opinion and I'm no expert but I am sure someone that is experienced will chime in as well.

P.S. I have two Pictus Catfish, and they are just great I love them. Always moving and great to watch...messy eaters though.

Niki said:
I think your stock idea works well together.

I would recommend a plated Pleco as the Cichlids may pick on him.

As for the Pictus Catfish, they are very rambunctious and need open space to race around. They may tear up some of your plants if heavily planted.(Also the Cichlids may dig up some of your plants) this is just my opinion and I'm no expert but I am sure someone that is experienced will chime in as well.

P.S. I have two Pictus Catfish, and they are just great I love them. Always moving and great to watch...messy eaters though.

I totally forgot about cichlids digging up plants. And ya I've read about the Pictus cats everyone seems to love them. And I'll look up that Pleco. Thanks:)

Correction the name of the Pleco is not plated haha its just that I would recommend an Armoured Plated Pleco...there are many different species...I have a Common Pleco.....he will grow to be very large and is spotted like a Leopard.

My Cichlids picked on him a little bit and his fins were a little eaten but they now leave him alone and his fins are growing back nicely :)

KeeperOfFish said:
Well my dream to get a 75 Gallon Saltwater tank is not going so well. But, I have an idea for an equally as beautiful 55-75 Gallon freshwater tank. This is my stock that I want for this idea tank of mine...
1 Electric Blue Cichlid
1 Yellow Lab Cichlid
1 Pictus Catfish
1 Some type of Pleco

I want it to have multiple species of plants and to have sand and driftwood to make look as natural as possible. Also I want to make a slate cave. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not sure if the fish can live together or not advice would be helpful. Thanks

A 55 gallon is to small for a Hapaclormine like the electric blues, they need a 6' tank due to their adult size and energy level.

The lab will be fine however Mbuna are best stocked in a 1 male to 3-4 female ratio. I would shoot for around 10 cichlids if you want pleco and catfish.

Pictus IMO get to large and are to active for a 55, I would suggest some of the smaller Synodontis catfish. As for plecos your best bet is a normal bristlenose.

Plants will look nice but chances are the Mbuna will eat and uproot them. I would try very hardy and fast growing plants if you are set on going that route.

Mogurako said:
A 55 gallon is to small for a Hapaclormine like the electric blues, they need a 6' tank due to their adult size and energy level.

The lab will be fine however Mbuna are best stocked in a 1 male to 3-4 female ratio. I would shoot for around 10 cichlids if you want pleco and catfish.

Pictus IMO get to large and are to active for a 55, I would suggest some of the smaller Synodontis catfish. As for plecos your best bet is a normal bristlenose.

Plants will look nice but chances are the Mbuna will eat and uproot them. I would try very hardy and fast growing plants if you are set on going that route.

Would they be ok in a 75 gallon because if I go freshwater cichlids I have to get an electric blue...and I really want a Pictus cat.

Niki said:
Correction the name of the Pleco is not plated haha its just that I would recommend an Armoured Plated Pleco...there are many different species...I have a Common Pleco.....he will grow to be very large and is spotted like a Leopard.

My Cichlids picked on him a little bit and his fins were a little eaten but they now leave him alone and his fins are growing back nicely :)

Oh ok I'll look it up thanks:)

KeeperOfFish said:
Would they be ok in a 75 gallon because if I go freshwater cichlids I have to get an electric blue...and I really want a Pictus cat.

Electric blues get 7-9" and really need the space a 100+ gallon aquarium can provide, those fish are hyper active and need their swim space. The pictus would be ok in a 75, make sure to get them small and give the other tank mates a chance to grow because they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

Also a common pleco get 24" and needs a 180 gallon tank, they will not fit in a 55/75 and with reck havoc upon your water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom