My kids won a goldfish a few weeks ago and I broke out the old tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more question I'm doing every other day water changes 3 gallons at a time! Is there any way to add water without stirring up the sediment on the bottom or should I just keep pouring it in and let the filter do the rest? It generally has my water clear again in a few hours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a large pitcher, you can submerge it in the tank, tip it, and then slowly pull it out. Doing this hardly disturbs the water at all.. Not the best explanation but try it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thanks Mebbid I will try that:)

I use a large pitcher, you can submerge it in the tank, tip it, and then slowly pull it out. Doing this hardly disturbs the water at all.. Not the best explanation but try it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Yeah that. I have an old 1 gallon fish bowl. Basically I set the bowl in the tank, let it sink to where the water line inside is the same as outside then tip.

You can also set the bucket of clean water up higher, and use airline tubing to siphon it into the tank. But use suction cups, the tubing can fall out and siphon the tank onto the floor.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Cool guys thanks a ton!! This site rocks!!! Very Helpful:)

I'd ask if they plan on getting more shrimp in, and if they aren't, can they order a few for you. Other than that, do dinner research and see if you can find a smaller one around or if there are any that pop up on, say, Craigslist.

Thanks K:)

Hey guys need a lil more help found a dead male this morning and a shrimp all my levels seem ok! Ammonia is at 0 and the other levels seem ok as well! So any tips the male seemed fine last night so I was very surprised? When I bought him a few days ago alot of the fish in the tank with him were dead so not sure if it was something I did or just a weak fish? Thanks for the help

One or two dead fish per store is probably within normal limits, especially if they are freshly dead (nothing is eating them yet).

But you've mentioned at least twice now "a lot" of fish were dead. That to me is a red flag.

I'd try another fish store.

But just out of curiosity, do you have a complete test kit?

Yes I have a complete test kit. There was about 10-15 dead in each tank! The kid that help me with the first batch that died on me made it sound like I was at fault and I had done something wrong so that's why it's funny to me that they had so many. And of course he wasn't working that day and the kid told me they had so many dead because it was Thursday and the new batch came in the next day!

Um. I don't know much about much but that sounds like a really bad fish store.

Help!! My Nitrite levels are through the roof! Everything else is great? What's going on? ? I've changed water every day now for 2 straight days/ 7 gallons today and it's not lowering at all? :(

Check the water you're using for changes and make sure it has no nitrates. Assuming it's 0, just keep changing. You may have just spiked that high. Maybe look into getting some hornwort or duckweed? Those plants are nitrate sinks lol. I use the hornwort in my tanks (along with multiple others...anacharis/elodea does a decent job of drinking nitrates as well). And maybe see if you can figure out what's putting out enough ammonia to cause that many nitrates. Dead critter decomposing, over feeding, detritus decaying in a corner of the tank, a dead spot in a decoration where detritus could gather and decay? If they're not in your tap water, they're coming from within the tank. If they are in your tap water, may have to look into other water sources.

Back
Top Bottom