my minnows are disappearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

damodamo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem. My minows are.dissapearing over night. Could my large goldfish or my new small koi be eating them?

Its about 50 litres, i have 4 goldfish, 1 is about 3 and half inches mouth to end of tail and another is 2 and half inches and other two are 1 and half inches so still small. I have 1 koi about 2 and half inches and a comet which is slightly bigger than smallest goldfish. I also have 4 weather loaches.

Its 56 litre if your working off us gallon or 68 litre id using a uk gallon approx i think i just tried working it out

damodamo said:
Its about 50 litres, i have 4 goldfish, 1 is about 3 and half inches mouth to end of tail and another is 2 and half inches and other two are 1 and half inches so still small. I have 1 koi about 2 and half inches and a comet which is slightly bigger than smallest goldfish. I also have 4 weather loaches.

You do realize you will be needing a 75 gal tank for the four goldfish when fully grown and the loaches, and a 1500 gallon pond for the koi and goldfish. Fifty liters is twelve gallons which is way too small.
The koi will eat the minnows

I knew i would need a bigger tank but not a pond. Petshop know how big my tank was as bought tank and fish from them. Is it ok as it is for now. All fish seem happy for time being

damodamo said:
I knew i would need a bigger tank but not a pond. Petshop know how big my tank was as bought tank and fish from them. Is it ok as it is for now. All fish seem happy for time being

Most petshops sell you fish that won't fit your tank ever. My petsmart says a 36" adult koi can fit a 20 gal. See what I mean when I say petstores sell you fish that jut don't fit? Koi are huge, active fish that need a 1500 gal pond for two fish or so. Koi also are very full bodied and make a lot of waste. It will be okay for another month or so maybe and that's a stretch. Do 50% PWCs daily or 3-4 times per week until you rehome the fish or get the pond and 75+ gal tank

When you say gallon are you going american or english??? Thanks for your advice. Big help

Oh and if it helps i have 2 pumps in my tank turned half way.Each of the two pumps individually filter more than double what they need to so if i turn them up slighy would that help??

damodamo said:
Oh and if it helps i have 2 pumps in my tank turned half way.Each of the two pumps individually filter more than double what they need to so if i turn them up slighy would that help??

Turn them up all the way if they are filters if they are powerheads position them so the flow points waste into the filter. Feed less. I'm talking about American gals. For reference here's the gals to liters-
75 gals-300 liters
100 gals-400 liters
1500 gals-6000 liters

Please listen to Emerald- your tank is very seriously overstocked. Koi do not belong in aquarium settings unless you have 1000g (US) indoor pond. They can grow over 3ft and live over 200yrs with proper care. The tank is too small for even a single goldfish. Change the water frequently until you can address your stocking situation or return/rehome fish if this isn't an option.

Is this a new tank? Is it cycled? That many fish in such a small tank is going to be a lot of trouble I'm afraid; toxins are going to build up very quickly. Goldfish also do most of their growing in the first year or two and if they are in a tank too small they can become stunted. Your tank really isn't even large enough for one goldie, let alone 4+. And yes the Koi are going to need a pond; if you have a Comet or Common goldfish they'll need ponds too. Tanks are only really good for fancies. Here are some links for you:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Everything has already been covered really.

I just wanted to had to librarygirls mention of a goldies growth rate and stunting their growth.

Many people think and say they will get a bigger tank as their goldy grows but don't realize the importance of having them in that bigger tank right away. As librarygirl said they do most of their growing in the first 2-3 years, but if you keep them in a tank that is too small it will stunt their growth and they will actually not keep growing as big as they should.

Most fancies reach around 8 inches or so(this of course varies on the type, some reach closer to 10 or so) and can reach the better part of this length in that 2-3 year span but when keeping them in a tank that is too small it's not uncommon to see one that is several years old but only 2-3 inches. It just stopped growing because it didn't have the room. KWIM? So waiting for your fish to grow really doesn't work if it doesn't actually have the room to allow for it.

I'd also like to point out a bit of the realities of stunting it's growth. Though it's body may stop growing it's inside won't. The organs will continue to grow until they can't anymore and eventually they will die of organ failure. The average lifespan of a goldy is at least 10 years usually. I've heard stories of them reaching 18 or even more in some cases. So they have long life spans when you really think about it. Sadly most rarely live to be 3-5 because people don't know the reality of the needs of this fish and it's cut drastically short

I took advice last week. I gave my larger 2 goldfish and carp to a friend with a large pond.. This will do temporarily as I am also looking for considerally bigger tank of atleast double my current size. Thankyou all for advice. Its very usefull information and will do pwc every few days. I have just bought a water testing kit off ebay, which should arrive tuesday. This tank is fairly new aquarium but is cycled.

Hate to add more worry, but 4 weather loach in a tank that size also is madness. My weather loaches outgrew there 60 litre in a 2 months and are now in a weather loach tank I keep 3 foot long! They can easily grow over 10cm and a far to energetic for your tank size.
I would chew the face of the manager of your pet store, seriously bad advise

Attachments

• image-1366105128.jpg
    image-1366105128.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 55
Ok i have took advicw from you all and have ordered a 6 foot tank from a friend who makes custom built tanks. On a new queation you may be able to help with. One of my loaches has 'cotton wool' like infection on his whiskers. I used diseese safe fron the gold range as was given to me by petshop who i got him from. But after a few weeks i havent seen any improvement... Any advice on that or wwould i have to open a new question?

Seachem Kanaplex worked for me in the past on one of my Loaches, the problem is usually caused by rough gravel, put a fine gravel in your next tank or sand - they love sand, can dig into it really easily and prevents damage to tentacles.

Is sand easy clean? I vacume the gravel with a gravity pull vacume. Would fine gravel be ok?

Oh anf would a 6 ft tank be ok for the goldfish and the loaches? I think the loaches are really cool. They each have their own personallity and already have become tame.

Back
Top Bottom