My new 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a brand new 55g for 95 bucks!
Dimensions are horrible for a saltwater tank as it is only 12 inches wide so I am going fresh with it. Started by painting abstract clouds design using 3 colors (dollar store craft paint), waiting till that was dry and finishing it off with flat black.
Hubby is building me a stand for this as I type and we should be able to set it up and get it cycling by tomorrow evening!
aquaclear 70 filter, 300 watt heater (overkill but the tank is in my basement)
I am making a custom fitted screen cover for this tank and the lighting is just shop lighting so not going planted.
Planned stock will be either angelfish or some other type of cichlids! (y)

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-11-03 003.jpg
    Iphone 2013-11-03 003.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Iphone 2013-11-03 004.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-03 004.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Iphone 2013-11-03 009.jpg
    Iphone 2013-11-03 009.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 106
That's looking really good! I really want to get a bigger tank and I'm keeping my eyes open on gumtree. Would have to sell my 15 gallon though as there is just not enough room for two.

I definitely would like to have an angel again too.

That's a great deal. I managed to get a 55 gallon tank today as well. Mine needs a little more tlc though. Looks like it was sitting outside for a while. I have to take off and replace all the trim but it holds water

Ok, it just sits there like that because I have for sure decided on a cichlid tank. More than likely Mbuna assorted color african cichlids that get to be a max of about 5". I am still doing the research on them and then I have to go pick rocks and driftwood and get it all prepared ..... will still be a while yet in the making

Very awesome!! Love the paint.

If you go with mbunas they will appreciate the rocks over the driftwood. (tons of research no experience) The are rock dwellers so the more rocks the better. Hope hubby is building that stand to withhold a LOT of weight.

A tip: before you load it up with rock get some egg crate from a home improvement store to cushion the bottom in case the rocks decide to take a tumble.

Thanks for the tip rmiller!! Appreciate any and all tips and tricks. I actually went to the landscaper place just outside of town here and personally picked about 90 lbs of rock.
I only paid $4.48 for the whole lot of them and they are awesome!!
I am now in the long and tedious process of testing them with vinegar to make sure what I picked will in fact be aquarium safe. They I will be scrubbing each and every one of them with a light 1/20 vinegar /hot water mix and then rinsing and soaking them for a while before attempting aquascape.
I already have 110 lbs of sand on standby and will be going to get the egg crate for the bottom too :) Pics to come ....

I don't think the vinegar trick really applies to a mbuna tank. Logic says that if the problem is calcite in the rock raising the ph and dkh, then for an african tank it may not matter.

Better safe than sorry I think :)
I am still in the process of washing the rocks (sounds weird to say that) but it is a slow process since I got company for the weekend!
Will be back at it tomorrow after work, will take some pics of the rocks in a tub to post! lol

Better safe than sorry I think :)
I am still in the process of washing the rocks (sounds weird to say that) but it is a slow process since I got company for the weekend!
Will be back at it tomorrow after work, will take some pics of the rocks in a tub to post! lol

Yeah, maybe, but it might actually help if your water is not good for africans. I'm really unlucky. My water is alkaline and soft (pH 7.8 and dkh 4 out of the tap, slightly lower in tank due to tannins). So I can't really do africans or discus.

Well, my tap water pH is 6.4 - 6.6 but I will find a way to have the 55g be my cichlid tank. I am already deep into research on how to bring up pH and the rocks will be a very good start.
I still have a very long way to go before ever putting a fish in this tank at all so I got time to work out the kinks in my plan :) Here are some of my rocks so far:

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-11-10 007.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-10 007.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Iphone 2013-11-10 006.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-10 006.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 54
Well, my tap water pH is 6.4 - 6.6 but I will find a way to have the 55g be my cichlid tank. I am already deep into research on how to bring up pH and the rocks will be a very good start.
I still have a very long way to go before ever putting a fish in this tank at all so I got time to work out the kinks in my plan :) Here are some of my rocks so far:

Nice rocks!

Thanks!! I managed to talk our local landscaper guy into selling me 3 5 gallon pails of rocks to me for the low price of $4.48 :)
Also, I plan to use crushed oyster shells in a mesh bag inside my tank filter to help boost pH level. It is really cheap, sold at most feed stores and easily replaceable. Hope this lil tidbit of info is helpful to you :)
IF I really cannot manage to buffer my tap water enough to sustain the African Cichlids I really want, I will just go with my second choice of angel fish!! I shall NOT be defeated!

pic update

Tonight, I added sand, rock, water and some equipment to the 55g cichlid tank!

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-11-15 005.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-15 005.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Iphone 2013-11-15 008.jpg
    Iphone 2013-11-15 008.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 62
Looks really awesome. The top rock on the left concerns be a bit. It doesn't look like there's much holding it up there. Did you silicon it in place by chance?

hmmm, nope! You are right tho.. it looks less than stable. I will have a look at it and probably glue it :) And thanks for the nice comment and input. I truly is appreciated.

Today...

worked on it yesterday and added some smaller river rocks (bought from the dollar store) and made the screen covers myself.
This is what it looks like today. I am now going to start on positioning the light system :)

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-11-17 003.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-17 003.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Iphone 2013-11-17 004.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-17 004.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Iphone 2013-11-17 025.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-17 025.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 55
  • Iphone 2013-11-17 031.JPG
    Iphone 2013-11-17 031.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 57
Alright!! Hubby pretty much rigged the light system up, I just had to stain the cover. It looks great. I have begun to add the ammonia (yes I know I could have used filter media from my other fresh water tanks) and will be monitoring every day.
Sure hope that I CAN put cichlids in it but I am still pretty worried about the pH and alk being too low :(

Back
Top Bottom