My new HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new tank came with a penguin 170 biowheel. I got the tank from someone else, and the wheel is now dry. Should I replace it ( i will regardless, but I'm curious if I "have" to).

Also, how do I load media into this thing? I suppose I could just go to the store a look at medie, but maybe someone here could give me some cheaper or better alternatives to the manufacturers media.

Also, how often do you change media and biowheel. Sorry, I'm quite ignorant on this...I've got a canister on my other tank, and I know there's different stuff to deal with between HOB's and canisters.

I have one of these filters and while I've never had the BIO-Wheel dry out normally you don't ever have to replace it. As long as the wheel keeps turning, even if it stops momentarily, it is still doing the job. Sometimes you may need to clean or replace the bearings that the wheel turns on. After a while the paper in the cartridge will become discolored as it gets populated with aerobic bacteria but this is perfectly normal.

As far as media goes, it takes the Marineland Rite-Size 'C' cartridge which is available in packs of three and six. Some people remove the carbon from the cartridge and just replace the filter floss as needed. I replace the filter cartridge with a new one at the beginning of each month.

hob

The first marineland filter I got used I contactad the maker about the biowheel. They said as long as the wheel is not damaged it should be fine. If it has obvious deposits or is crusty you can wet it & try to gently clean it, but that is probably not needed. As for media, take a look at these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13370&N=2004+113808. Sorry it is not a link, I am a bit computer challenged. lol

The sponge is reusable and since all the media is replaceable in the frame, you can omit the carbon if you prefer & load filter floss or something else. I have not used a Penguin 170, but if it has 2 media slots like a 200, then you can use two cartridges. There are small 'ears' on the top of the Drs Foster Smith model that may need to be cut off, though. When I did that 2 fit great.

Try cleaning the bio-wheel before you use it.

I rinse the media out when it gets dirty and I don't change it until the floss starts to fall apart.

Oh, and the bio-wheel doesn't need to ever be replaced.

The biowheel should never have to be replaced... mine looks pretty gross and doesn't turn as well as it used to, but that's supposedly normal. I buy my cartridges from www.bigalsonline.com where I've found they are less than 1/2 the price as they are at my lfs!

I have not had much luck cleaning out a dirty cartridge. I don't replace mine that often, but I do completely replace them. I like my P170, it is a little noisy when the water level goes down, but I use that as a means of keeping up with water changes.

What size tank is your 170 on?

Back
Top Bottom