My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshy92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Basically I've brought a second hand 250litre tank, 66 US gal. I've noticed a crack on the inside of the tank, but its smooth on the outside so the crack hasn't gone completely through the glass.

Is this a problem that can be ignored or should I fix it before I fill it with water etc.. If so, how do I fix it? Cheaply!!

Thanks!

I wouldn't suggest just filling it with water because the crack could get bigger and the glass could give way. There are no perfect ways to solving a cracked tank and it might be better to return it or get a refund if possible. One thing that might work though would be filling the crack with aquarium safe silicon ( the stuff they use to hold the different pieces together). It might not be the prettiest thing but you could hide it with decorations.

I wouldn't suggest just filling it with water because the crack could get bigger and the glass could give way. There are no perfect ways to solving a cracked tank and it might be better to return it or get a refund if possible. One thing that might work though would be filling the crack with aquarium safe silicon ( the stuff they use to hold the different pieces together). It might not be the prettiest thing but you could hide it with decorations.

I agree... siliconing with an aquarium safe silicone may be the only option...and of course monitoring it for slow leaks and more cracking...good luck

With a 66 gallon tank you're looking at roughly 550 lbs filled with water not counting substrate and decorations. that's quite a bit of weight. if the crack is on the bottom of the tank that might not be good. Maybe not so bad if its cracked on the sides or front/back but still a crack is a crack no matter where it's located.

Personally, with that kind of weight sitting on it I wouldn't trust it even if repaired. I return it if possible or look for another tank.

Another thing to consider might be taking
the tank to a glass shop and having them see if they can cut and silicone another piece of glass inside over the piece that's cracked. Not sure if that can be done but it's worth a try if you can't afford another tank.

The last thing you want is to set the whole thing up and then it leaks or cracks worse. My experience with cracked glass has been that the cracks always get worse. And that's with glass that doesn't have any stress or and weight on it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back
Top Bottom