my new tank (and my old tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkzoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so, within the last few months i set up a 40 gallon tank with:
1 peacock eel
1 african knife fish
5 tiger barbs
2 dalmation mollies
5 Silver-tipped Sharks (Hexanematichthys seemanni)
1 plecostomus
*Yes, i know how large all of these fish will get, that is why i bought them*

In the beginning i had a lot of cycling problems, (this was before i had all the fish in there). And also an algae outbreak, but a UV filter took care of that.
However, the silver tipped sharks started behaving very strange when i put in an under gravel filter last week. All five started spending most of their time in the back near one of the towers. Although i liked it better when they actively swam around, this didn't concern me too much. Today i woke up though, and all five of them were attacking a dead molly. Do they get territorial/aggressive when kept in groups of five? I'm not heartbroken over a molly/tetra/orange-thing, but the eel and the knife were not cheap and look really cool. any suggestions?

i also have a 30 gallon tank with:
2 big dragon golbys
2 gold gouramis
3 rosie barbs
1 albino rainbow tipped shark (i'm just fish sitting him for a year or so)
1 large plecostomus
1 dwarf clawed frog
1 random orange fish
1 Iridescent shark [FONT=Verdana, Arial]
I know the iridescent shark shouldn't be alone, but his tank mate died from a horrible ick problem i had when i added new fish. However, even now, this fish looks, well, not well.
[/FONT]He just looks, well, dingy and not well. Do they just look like this after they get older? He's probably around 2 years old, and around 6-7 inches i guess.

thanks much.
-jason

One thing I would tell you is to get rid of the irridescent shark. They can reach 4ft.

yeah, i saw that today actually. if i can get him healthier i'll try to find someone that wants one on craigslist

the dragon gobies definitely need to be removed from the 30g since your stocking indicates it is a fw tank. the pleco should also go. absolutely nothing wrong with getting big fish, you've just got to have big tanks for them, neither of which are big enough for a common pleco

why? as far as i know, all of the fish in the 30 gallon tank are ok with brackish water. the only reason i've heard is that the golbys will eat the other fish, but since mine prefer flakes to live worms, i don't see any reason they would eat them

I used to have about three silver-tipped sharks. They do best in a group of AT LEAST 3. They seem to do well with Bala sharks if you are looking for good companions with them. Depending on how the shark was raised though, it might be aggressive. I do believe they are agressive to certain fish though.

that is why i bought five. i had two for about a year and a half and one died. the other decided he was a dragon golby. i figured that this way i'd at least have three if a few died.

Back
Top Bottom