My readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just finished checking all my readings so these are the results:

NH3=4.0
NO2=0
NO3=5.0
pH=8.0

Thanks to all that helped with my ammonia issue. I am going to add more NH3 tonight to get up to 5ppm. As I understand now the nitrite levels should spike first right? I am already showing some nitrate readings. Is this common? Also, it seems like my pH is high or is this standard?

@rt

I didn't catch your other thread, but assume you're doing a fishless cycle here.

4ppm is a fine place to start. It'll take a bit, but eventually you'll start to see the nitrite spike first, like you said. Add seed material, it's the key to reducing your cycle time.

Is that pH reading taken directly from the tap, or from a tank? If from the tap, need to let it sit and offgas for about 24 hours to get an accurate reading.

As for the NO3 readings, it's not uncommon to get that out of the tap either. Chloramines as well can read as NO3 to our test kits.

What test kit are you using?

Yes, I am doing a fishless cycle and pH was taken out of aquarium. Later, I checked my tap water and it read 7.8 My tank has been filled for about 5 days. Over the last couple of nights I've been adding pure ammonia to start the cycle. I am going to try to convince my LFS to give me some seed juice from their tanks to speed up the cycle.

I guess I was just cuirous why my NO3 was up already and as you said, the tap water may contain some nitrate.

I am using API Freshwater Master Test Kit. ANy other tests I should be doing?

for now, no additional tests necessary. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all you need to get thru a cycle.

You may already know, but a few tips to speed it along. #1 like you mentioned, beg, plead, steal if necessary, seed material. 2) lots of oxygen. If using a HOB, let the water level get down so you get a good splash. Noisy, yes, but the bacteria like the o2. 3) raise your temperature to 83ish degrees.

neilanh...thanks for your help. I read somewhere that I could add plants from my LFS which may contain some of the magic bacteria? If so, how many should I add for a 10 gallon aquarium?

Unfortunately fishless cycling and plants don't mix. High Ammonia + Light = Green Water. Wait until after the cycle is done to add plants.

Plants don't "contain" beneficial bacteria, but they have larger surface area so that lots beneficial bacteria can live on there surfaces.

I'm also in the middle of a fishless cycle and I purchased a really cheap hydro from my LFS in the hope that I got some beneficial bacteria with it. I'm leaving my light off, and if it dies I'm not worried. I bought a really cheap one for this reason.

I have no idea if it worked...

If you get plants from a tank with fish, there will be good bacteria from the surface. You don't need (or want) a lot during fishless cycling...just a small bunch to seed the tank. And yes, leave the lights off so you don't get green water. If the plant dies, it will just add to the NH3 load (but do remove it if it gets too messy).

Another source of good bacteria is good old garden dirt. I've read this from the KRIB FAQ, but never tried this myself. The suggestion is to get a handful of clean dirt from a garden (no pesticides or ferts ... pure organic only!!!) or better yet from a pond ... put it in a mesh bag to seed your tank. I am not sure how safe this is, as outdoor stuff can be contaminated .... so do this at your peril!! Generally, you don't really need seeding if you are willing to wait.

And do check your tap water for nitrates .... this might influence your interpretation of results.

Back
Top Bottom