My very own 75g stocking / build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have purchased a 75 gallon and will be receiving it next week. So wanted to start my very own build thread.

I am still a novice here, so I will have a lot of questions. If what I am planning sounds like a terrible idea to you, please let me know.

I plan on going with 2 Aquaclear HOB filters (a 70 and a 110).
Pool Filter Sand for Substrate
It isn't going to be planted. I don't think I am quite ready for that yet :D So it will be artificial.
Planning on doing the fishless cycle.
I also plan on taking the set up very slowly, trying to avoid that point where the tank is full of water (or worse yet full of water and fish) and I think "Darn, I wish I would have done this this way". I would have done my current 10g differently than I did if I could do it all over again.

My current stocking plan:
8-10 White Clouds (6 are moving over from my 10g)
10-12 Cardinal Tetras (a favorite of my wife)
8-10 Cory Catfish (would love recommendations on types)
6-8 Cherry Barbs
6-8 Dwarf Rainbowfish

And then after that I was thinking of some non-schooling fish in the "centerpiece" vein of things, though not so big that they will eat my other fish.

Some ideas I had were perhaps a pair (male/female) of dwarf gouramis and then perhaps 2-4 Angelfish? Any other ideas?

Any fish that you think I am missing? I have read a lot of good things about Otos. Recommend? There will be at least one piece of driftwood in the tank.

I don't think this will be totally overstocked as far as bio-load. But obviously I could be wrong (if so please tell me).

Also, does anybody buy fish off the internet? I have a few fish stores around me (of differing quality) but was thinking that if they don't have a breed of fish that I want could I get them off the internet? Or is that crazy talk? If you have ordered fish off the internet I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Whew... quite the load of info / questions.. sorry about that. Just very excited.

Sounds like you've got a good start. I'd be careful with adding angels. Those cardinals might end up as snacks. You don't want to upset the boss.

Otos are fun. They stay small and do a decent job of keeping the tank clean. 5-6 otos would go good in that tank.

With a 75g, you can pretty much pick whichever cory species catches your eye. They're all rather docile. I've got pandas and I really like them, especially the long-finned variety.

No, I don't think you're overstocked. I would add the fish on your list slowly, then see what the water parameters are like before deciding to add more fish. I'd really doubt that you'd see any problems though.

I haven't bought fish online due to shipping costs and having some pretty good LFSs near by. Others here buy and sell online all the time with good results. You could always try asking your LFS to order something for you if you're not ready to take the plunge alone.

I have heard that before about the Angels and Cardinals. But I have also heard that they can be together (in fact doesn't WhiteDevil have Angels and either neons or cardinals together in a community tank?).

But I will certainly take that under consideration. If not Angels, what other type of non-schooling fish might be an idea (that isn't going to eat my little ones :)). I suppose I could get a second pair of Gouramis (perhaps a pair of Honey Dwarfs to go with the Dwarf Gouramis)?

It really depends on the fish, a lot of angels will munch them in a heart beat and then there's some that will completely ignore them. I don't think your over stocked at all and I would recommend julli corys. They're sweet!

Do I dare try trio of Rams (specifically blue rams)? Or is that just asking for trouble with a novice like me :)

I can't wait to see some pics! I have a 75g sitting in storage and I am living my addiction to fish vicariously through you guys! lol Here is a link to rockwood's 75g build thread. You might get some ideas or something. Best of luck to you!!

I'd hold off on the rams until your tank is established and stable. After that, I don't see why you couldn't keep them.

Hmm. Well after some more research, it appears that Angels may be a danger to any Otos if I decide to get some, in addition to the Cardinals. So they are officially out.

It also turns out that Rams prefer a PH that is at the opposite scale of my tap water. And I do mean opposite :) Since I don't want to try and mess around with the PH levels of my tap water just to keep some Blue Rams, they are out as well :p

So I have decided instead to go with Rainbow fish as my "centerpieces" and adding a second school of them (Boesemani Rainbows to go with my Neon Dwarf).

My only slight concern is the fact that I would now have 5 different types of schooling fish in the tank (apart from my bottom dwellers). Is it going to look a bit of a mish-mash with the mix of fish in there? Almost to busy?

My idea as it stands now:
8 White Clouds
8 Cherry Barbs
8 Cardinal Tetras
10 Julii Corys
12 Neon Dwarf Rainbows
12 Boesemani Rainbows
5 Oto Catfish

Looking for opinions. Also on stocking level. I think I will be ok (going to way over filter with a pair of AC110's, will only cost me an extra 30 bucks to go from a 70 to a 110) but always like to hear opinions from people that are much more experienced than myself.

I think I'd start with six of each of the rainbows and see how the tank looks. You might have some crowding in the middle of your tank if you put the full two dozen rainbows in there. I have some of the neon dwarf (praecox) rainbows and the males are half as tall as they are long. They're not particularly small fish and the boesemanis are larger than the praecox 'bows.

Go with the 110s. You can always throttle them back a bit.

Good idea. A lot easier to add a fish or two then pull some out.

Another thought rattling around in my head: I currently have a 10g with 6 White Clouds and a male betta. I plan on transferring the white clouds to the 75 and leaving the betta alone in the 10g. A thought I had recently had was that when I pull the white clouds would be to add 6 Cardinals to the 10g with the betta (and then skip the Cardinals in the 75). I assume the betta won't get lonely, but it would remove one school from the 75.

Am I over-thinking all this? ;)

You could add cardinals to the 10g. My wife's old betta like to chase the neons that were in his tank. They were much too fast for him, but it kept him from getting bored.

What about dwarf gourami you can have 3 or 4 of them and they come in a few different color choices. I am thinking along the same line as you are with fish. This is my stocking list so far with a 90 gallon tank
8 zebra danios
4-6 dwarf gourami (different colors)
4 boesemani rainbows
4 dwarf neon rainbows
8 emperor tetras
and some kind of bottom dwellers but I haven't decided yet (leaning towards the panda corys)

The reason why I hesitate when it comes to Dwarf Gouramis is mainly that if you get to many males (even just two) they can become aggressive to each other. Right now I really think I would prefer larger schools of rainbows. though I am not 100% yet.

Ok, now for some truly basic (possibly dumb) questions:

I picked up my 75 yesterday (yay). The previous owner says that he cleaned it out, but I am going to clean it just to be sure. So distilled white vinegar + water is the mixture.... and then rinse, rinse rinse rinse. I got that part. But how do you rinse? Can you lay the aquarium on its side and rinse it that way? Or better to fill it up and let it overflow for a while, then siphon and then repeat? Seems pretty basic but I don't want to damage the aquarium but setting it on its side if I shouldn't be doing that.

Also, going with pool filter sand for substrate. What is the best way to rinse the dust off that? What has worked well for you?

Very basic questions I know :)

Oh, and how much PFS? 75 gallon tank (bottom is 4 feet by 18 inches). I am thinking about 2 inches of sand in the bottom.... so.. two 50 lb bags?

That's probably a pretty good guess. I put one 50lb bag in my 29g (30"x12") and got 3-4" of depth.

Ok.

The guy I bought it from said he cleaned it. I will verify, but I am pretty sure he used a bleach mixture. For that reason I am just going to wash it out again with hot water and then rinse the living heck out of it to try and get any trace of bleach out of it.

Recommend resting it on its side for rinsing? Or having it upright and letting it overflow for a while, then using a siphon to drain and then repeat the process?

How would you rinse out this aquarium? :p

I had mine on its end, side, turned every which way when I was rinsing it after I initially purchased the tank. However my fiance was helping me move it keeping pressure off the sides while moving.

As long as you're careful I don't think it will be a problem, I would just try to have some help.

Oh and as for how I rinsed it... I just put it on end and used a fresh clean sponge + water hose.

I would personally set it on it's side and get as much water over every surface as possible. When I cleaned my 75g out so that I could deploy that is how I did it.

If you are concerned about bleach you could fill the tank up when you are done scraping the sides with razor (if needed) and then dose with like 2-3x the normal amount of conditioner. Remove the water and fill it up again and add your normal dose of conditioner. Other than that, a LOT of water and paper towels. I would stay away from sponges as they can contain soap in them or other harmful chemicals (even if they are new and unused).

Scrape with a razor blade and scrub with vinegar and paper towels, rinse heavily with a garden hose, fill with water, and add 3x dose of dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom