My wannabe Tank good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
So all this is what I came up with, what do you think?

Stock:
Freshwater Clams
2 Bolivian Ram
2 German Blue Ram
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Gold Gourami
1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
1 Red Fire Dwarf Gourami
2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Praecox Rainbow
10 Otocinclus Catfish
6 Cardinal Tetra or 6 True Rummynose Tetra
2 Sunset Platy
4 Neon Tetra

And a pleco don’t know which one yet is suitable and doesn’t grow as big to eat and clean the bottom of tank.

Tank setup:
75g trying to find a 60” long
RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer
Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater-300 W
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Air Pump 300
Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer
Tetra Water Wonders Driftwood Filter
1 Driftwood or 1 Root
Plastic Mats and Plastic Plants
Pool Sand

I like to do a setup with Moonlight, Day light and Dust and Dawn light with timers Fluorescent have no idea how to go upon this or which to get. Or what type of Kelvin.

And some black thin Substrate to Mix a little with the pool sand.

I think this is about it any advice and if all this works.

well.. I hope you aren't hoping to breed the rams because you are stocking a lot of fry eaters.. Other than that it sounds kind of nice. Personally I'm giving up my Rummys and phantom Tetras to give my Apistos a little peace should they chose to try to spawn.

Or course I'm partial to live plants and would love to lure you into the planted tank forum. Given the attention you are already giving to light you might just like the toys involved ;)

I really like the idea of live plants but I'm not sure if the cost etc for the co2 i can handle at this time, I was also looking into just putting some live plants that wouldnt need co2 now and later then add co2 and more plants.

i was even looking into type of bamboo plant.

I'm trying to do like a South American theme, since alot of my fish are from there.

you might have issues with that many gouramis in the same tank, but i they could be alright. i'd drop the platies (they don't seem to fit with the rest of the list to me?) and go for more neon tetras - a school of a dozen would look fantastic.

I hate to be the jerk but you said you wanted a SA theme...idk if you meant all of the fish or the plants inside it. Gouramis are from SE asia :/
And I'd be a little nervous about freshwater clams because of the difficulty it takes to raise them not to mention how if they die theyre going to mess up the water parameters pretty badly because its difficult to tell when theyre dead.

zenkatydid said:
you might have issues with that many gouramis in the same tank, but i they could be alright. i'd drop the platies (they don't seem to fit with the rest of the list to me?) and go for more neon tetras - a school of a dozen would look fantastic.

yeah i'm re-thinking the new wannabe stock.

the platies are my current stock I can't drop them lol

DaPony87 said:
I hate to be the jerk but you said you wanted a SA theme...idk if you meant all of the fish or the plants inside it. Gouramis are from SE asia :/

Stock:
Freshwater Clams
2 Bolivian Ram
2 German Blue Ram
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Gold Gourami
1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
1 Red Fire Dwarf Gourami
2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Praecox Rainbow
10 Otocinclus Catfish
6 Cardinal Tetra or 6 True Rummynose Tetra
2 Sunset Platy
4 Neon Tetra

And a pleco don’t know which one yet is suitable and doesn’t grow as big to eat and clean the bottom of tank.

22 latin american fish vs 14 asian fish

I'm trying to do like a South American theme, since alot of my fish are from there. key word (alot) lol

I have alot of feedback saying to many Gouramis so this is what I cam up with better?

2 red dwarf Gourami
1 neon dwarf gourami
2 sunset platy
5 to 10 ottos
4 neon tetras
6 cardinals or 6 true rummy nose
4 g-rams
2 b-rams
1 golden nugget pleco

clams arent exactly that hard. i switched some plants throughout my tanks. i havent seen my clams in over.. 8ish months.. i only found 1 dead. my water isnt that clear so.. that may have helped :)

personally i think the tank is big enough.. but ive heard that dwarf gouramis are more agressive than normals?

dunno if they'll get swamped in such a huge tank, but sparkling gouramis :). no agression at all when i had them. their about 1" i think. prety cute

It looks like you may have dropped them, but the rainbows really need to be in a school so at least 5 of each type if you go with them. 5 boesemanis might mean that you'd have to drop some of the other fish - they are large, beefy fish when grown. Praecox don't get that large but do need a school.

The pleco is not going to clean the bottom of the tank, per se, but gold nuggets do need more in their diet than algae and veggies and will perhaps clean up uneaten food.

I'm looking into puffers, is there any type that could fit with what I have and probably want?
I have found out these are probably the best bet for my setup. anyone knows anything?
Colomesus asellus
aka south america puffer
any info on this?

kaz said:
I really like the idea of live plants but I'm not sure if the cost etc for the co2 i can handle at this time, I was also looking into just putting some live plants that wouldnt need co2 now and later then add co2 and more plants.

i was even looking into type of bamboo plant.

I'm trying to do like a South American theme, since alot of my fish are from there.

Cost of CO2 system....

I paid 92.00 on Ebay for my CO2 setup, Milwaukee regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and bubble counter setup, and also CO2 hose came with it. Locally getting my 5lb tank, $77.00 filled. And that's it, total. Less than 200.00. Where the cost really comes in is if you decided to use a plant gravel like Eco Complete, which isn't necessary. But I paid almost 300.00 for mine, over half that was shipping.

I also decided on not getting the ph controller for now. That would add a bit to the cost, but not necessary if you understand how the system works. I may add one later, but for now, buying other things. Driftwood, rock, etc. I want a very specific look when my tank is done. :)

I'm looking into puffers, is there any type that could fit with what I have and probably want?
I have found out these are probably the best bet for my setup. anyone knows anything?
Colomesus asellus
aka south america puffer

Not sure about puffers, but wouldn't they feed on some of the other fish? Will be interested in hearing what others with more experience say on it myself, as my knowlege on them is very little. :)

this is what I've been looking into
Brazilian Freshwater Puffer
South American Puffer
South American Freshwater Puffer
Peruvian Puffer
Venezuelian Puffer
One of the more peaceful pufferfish this fish originates from South America.

Often the colours are not as bold as shown in the photo and they can be more subtle with the puffer having more of a uniform colour. Stripes may show faintly giving this puffer the common name of Zebra Puffer.

This puffer is similar in appearance to the Chonerhinos naritus, particularly in the facial area. This may lead to some confusion when purchasing.

Living Conditions
Freshwater and light brackish.

Temperature
pH
Hardness 26C
10dH

Average Size in Wild 15cm
Temperament Peaceful.

Common name South American Pufferfish
Photo taken at Wharf Aquatics

Scientific name Colomesus asellus
Synonyms Asell's puffer, Brazilian/Peruvian puffer
Size Up to 6" (15cm) reported, more often 4" (10cm) in aquaria
Origin Amazon basin: Brazil, Colombia and Peru.
Tank setup A small species tank, or a larger community tank with suitably robust companions. Provide some cover and open swimming space.
Compatibility A fairly peaceful puffer, but still inclined to nip fins.

That UV is going to be useless with the flow rate of the XP3, you either need a higher wattage UV setup or its own pump at about 55 gph.

kaz said:
Tank setup:
75g trying to find a 60” long
RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer
Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater-300 W
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Air Pump 300
Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer
Tetra Water Wonders Driftwood Filter
1 Driftwood or 1 Root
Plastic Mats and Plastic Plants
Pool Sand

quote]

he means the hardware setup

I would stick with less gouramis they can get really mean and the last stocking list sound a lot better. I also wouldn't get 10 otos for a 75gal. They can be really difficult to feed and if there are not enough algae in the tank you might have trouble feeding that many to keep them alive.

As for the puffers you seem to have looked for a species that can be held in a community tank, so that should be ok. I only know that dwarf puffers are so agressive that they can kill their tankmates and should therefore have their own tanks. But with the more friendly ones it is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom