My water smells funky!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZomB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Im a complete noob so im not sure if i need to take any action on this...

Im currently just setting up. I have a 2nd hand external filter (aqua one cf 1000) that i filled up but when i switched it on i discovered that it had a leak. I got some O rings which fixed the tap leak but when i finally got it started 3 days later i noticed a pretty strange smell! Im pretty sure this was from the water that had been sat in the filter.

I left it to carry on running but my water in the tank still has a slightly odd smell...nothing too offensive though but the freshwater dont smell so fresh!

So im going to be doing a fishless cycle that will require a 90% water change further down the line. Will this be ok or should i consider doing a water change before i start to try & cycle? Thanks.

I'd say stagnent. I was concerned about leaving the water for 3 days but i had my air stones running in the tank...i didnt even think about the water sat in the filter.

I dont mind doing a water change but ive already used most of my water treatment (dechlorinator) filling up the tank so i'd probably have to get another bottle of that. :puppydogeyes:

Hi all. Im a complete noob so im not sure if i need to take any action on this...

Im currently just setting up. I have a 2nd hand external filter (aqua one cf 1000) that i filled up but when i switched it on i discovered that it had a leak. I got some O rings which fixed the tap leak but when i finally got it started 3 days later i noticed a pretty strange smell! Im pretty sure this was from the water that had been sat in the filter.

I left it to carry on running but my water in the tank still has a slightly odd smell...nothing too offensive though but the freshwater dont smell so fresh!

So im going to be doing a fishless cycle that will require a 90% water change further down the line. Will this be ok or should i consider doing a water change before i start to try & cycle? Thanks.

If the water in the filter sat for some time, it's going to be seriously fouled along with any media in there. Even the bacteria would be dead/decayed and useless IMO. I'd suggest pulling the filter apart and giving it a good wash in super hot water (not boiling, no soap), replace any sponge like media and washing the bio media good too. Since you haven't even cycled yet, you'll not be losing any time and the filter will be better suited to colonizing bacteria.

If the water in the filter sat for some time, it's going to be seriously fouled along with any media in there. Even the bacteria would be dead/decayed and useless IMO. I'd suggest pulling the filter apart and giving it a good wash in super hot water (not boiling, no soap), replace any sponge like media and washing the bio media good too. Since you haven't even cycled yet, you'll not be losing any time and the filter will be better suited to colonizing bacteria.

Should i change the water in the tank too? Just to update im back home now & i'd describe it as a musky smell...

Should i change the water in the tank too? Just to update im back home now & i'd describe it as a musky smell...

If you have more de-chlorinator (I like Prime), then a good 50-75% PWC wouldn't hurt (you just started cycling right?) If it were me, I'd be mostly concerned with the funk in the filter and would check each element to determine if it's useable or not.

If you have more de-chlorinator (I like Prime), then a good 50-75% PWC wouldn't hurt (you just started cycling right?) If it were me, I'd be mostly concerned with the funk in the filter and would check each element to determine if it's useable or not.

Thank you for the advice. Ive not started the cycle yet. Im going to order my water test kit off ebay (API Tesk Kit) as its about £10 cheaper than my lfs.

Another quick question i have is with regards to the filter inlet & outlet. I've got a duck bill set up but the instructions didnt cover using it & only seem to mention the spray bar. Currently the inlet & outlet are close to each other at the side of the tank. Will that effect how the filter works, should the outlet be nearner the centre of the tank or are they ok to be close to each other? The water looks clean so i assume its working but i want to make sure its set up right. Thanks.

Thank you for the advice. Ive not started the cycle yet. Im going to order my water test kit off ebay (API Tesk Kit) as its about £10 cheaper than my lfs.

Another quick question i have is with regards to the filter inlet & outlet. I've got a duck bill set up but the instructions didnt cover using it & only seem to mention the spray bar. Currently the inlet & outlet are close to each other at the side of the tank. Will that effect how the filter works, should the outlet be nearner the centre of the tank or are they ok to be close to each other? The water looks clean so i assume its working but i want to make sure its set up right. Thanks.

IMO, it'd be best to have the inlet to the filter about a 1/4 of the way from one end of the tank and the outlet about the same distance from the other end of the tank. That will allow plenty of flow/circulation thru-out the tank. I'm looking at getting a spray bar for the canister I'm getting and I'm sure they help, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity.

Not sure what you mean by a duck bill setup, sorry.

So you got the filter cleaned out? Did the bio media/sponges/etc look OK?

Just an FYI, many filter mfg's will tell you to replace the above mentioned elements every couple of months. There's no need to and in fact it's better to just clean them at random times in water pulled from the tank during PWC, rinsing in tap water will kill the bacteria. I use mine till they fall apart and I have yet to have any get that bad. The only exception to this rule is if you use carbon, it's not really needed IMO, but needs to be replaced every 2-3 weeks if you do use it.

Back
Top Bottom