mystery snail wont move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbmoore22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i got him home put him n my tank and he was doing fine climbed the wall of the tank then i was given a 20 gallon tank and i switched tanks now the snail has not moved since its been about three days now and he still wont move. i think whats called his foot he pokes it out then back all the way in his shell. he does not smell at all.

Have you tested the water in the new tank (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) recently? I would start there, they can be pretty sensitive to water parameters. Snails can be a little like fish, sometimes it takes them a little while to re-adjust. So long as he/she doesn't smell, is still alive I wouldn't worry too much.

I just got a mystery snail the other day and he was doing ok but now he won't move?I don't know what to do! The people at the pet store said that I wouldn't need to feed him and that I could just use regular tap water.

Is your water dechlorinated?
Is your tank cycled?
Is he being fed (either directly or indirectly)?

Ditto the others who said test the water. Something isn't right. They can be a bit reclusive in the presence of aggressive fish (because when they stick their feelers out, they get nipped) but sitting idle for days is not OK.

I just got a mystery snail the other day and he was doing ok but now he won't move?I don't know what to do! The people at the pet store said that I wouldn't need to feed him and that I could just use regular tap water.

:nono: Snails eat. Snails don't like toxic water any more than fish do. Dechlorinated water that's either changed often or has been cycled is not optional. If you overfeed your fish, it's possible the snail will survive OK on leftovers but feeding them wilted veggies makes for a happy, healthy slimer.

Back
Top Bottom