n00b looking for algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malvern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here and so I want to start things off right. I have a black beard algae that is killing almost all of the plants in the tank. In the summer everything seems ok, but now that it's winter the problem is out of control.

My first question is what test kit do I need to buy in order to post all of my info in order to get some help, and what thread do I post in for fresh water algae problems?

Thanks for the help. :D

Hi Malvern and welcome to AA! :multi:

Dan is right -- if this is affecting your plants and killing them, post in the Freshwater Planted Tanks section. If you had algae but no plants, you could post here in this forum. I'd try the plant forum for now, since there are many members there who can help you with balancing your light, fertilizers, CO2, etc. to control the algae.

Your tests should measure for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The test-tube type kits (I like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand) are more accurate than the strips that you dip in water. For planted tanks, GH and KH tests, and pH are useful also. Other tests for planted tanks may be helpful too. The members there can tell you which ones you may need.

I could move your post to the planted forum for you.

Need to test for phosphate too, as nitrate/phosphate imbalances are what lead to algae blooms.

Malkore:
any suggestions/recommendations on phosphate test brands/sources? I never see them in my LFS's.

An t-iasg said:
Hi Malvern and welcome to AA! :multi:

Dan is right -- if this is affecting your plants and killing them, post in the Freshwater Planted Tanks section. If you had algae but no plants, you could post here in this forum. I'd try the plant forum for now, since there are many members there who can help you with balancing your light, fertilizers, CO2, etc. to control the algae.

Your tests should measure for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The test-tube type kits (I like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand) are more accurate than the strips that you dip in water. For planted tanks, GH and KH tests, and pH are useful also. Other tests for planted tanks may be helpful too. The members there can tell you which ones you may need.

I could move your post to the planted forum for you.

That would be appreciated. I'd like to include some more info as well, here it is:

It's a 120 gal tank, the substrate is black gravel, I use a external filter system. The tank is maintained every week with one third of the water being changed. The new water is from the tap which is first put into a holding tank with a chemical to rid it of the chlorine.

The water Nitrate levels are 10mg/L, CO² is 3mg/L, the pH is 7.5,almost no ammonia, the KH is 4dH,the GH is 8.I've recently treated the water with 2 chemicals to try and get a handle on this situation, they are, an iron and potassium supplement called "Leaf Zone" and an organic carbon called "Flourish excel".

The tank contains
  1. 3 Swordtails
  2. 2 Honey Gouramis
  3. 1 adult and 4 baby dalmatians
  4. 2 Gold Comets (Platy)
  5. 10 Neon Tetras
  6. 3 Glass Catfish
  7. 5 Catfish ( Corydoras )
  8. 1 Angelfish
  9. 7 Zebra Danios
  10. 3 Silver Dollars
  11. 3 White Clouds
  12. 1 Algae Eater ( either a leoparacanthicus or a pterygoplichthys )

The lighting consists of 6 - 4ft fluorescent bulbs.
  • 2 Red spectrum 2500K°
  • 2 Blue spectrum 6500K°
  • 2 Full spectrum K° uncertain as they came with the original aquarium, purchased 6 months ago.

Thanks for the help. :D

I forgot to say that if anyone needs photos I can provide those as well. :oops:

Well, I'm pretty much a noob but. . .
"2 Red spectrum 2500K°

2 Blue spectrum 6500K°

2 Full spectrum K° uncertain as they came with the original aquarium, purchased 6 months ago."

That's a lot of light!!!
I've heard that the blue spectrum bulbs are NOT GOOD for planted tanks. They don't help the FW plants, and they may even *encourage* algae growth.

I'd also be wary of dosing with an Fe/K chemical additive. I would think this would also encourage the algae growth by providing excess nutrients?

Surely someone will come along and add some *trustworthy* advice.

Also, I would be interested in seeing some pics! sounds like a cool tank. . .

I think the bulb spectrums are fine for now. I feel the 2500K 'red' spectrum is too low for 'ideal' growign conditions. the 6500k 'blue' bulbs are typical plant bulbs...though I wouldn't refer to them as 'blue spectrum'. Workfortheman, you're thinking of Actinic03 bulbs, which aren't even close to 6500k...just their choice of words, don't sweat it.

Problem is you have 240watts over a 125gallon. So 2wpg. Your CO2 levels are way low, and it'll take a small fortune in Flourish Excel to work in a 125gallon.

Phosphate kit, for freshwater - can't beat the one made by SeaChem. Should be $10 online at big als or Foster Smith.

Here are a couple of piccys, just click on them to enlarge. I didn't take any long shots because I was trying to get the algae in the pics.

And I also forgot to mention that the lights are on for 12 hours a day.

And sorry Malkore I don't understand the problem with my lighting. I thought that the ideal was 1-3 watts per gallon. I have 2. :?

The problem is you have enough light to need CO2 injection...but you're not doing it...so the plants aren't growing as fast as the could.

malkore said:
The problem is you have enough light to need CO2 injection...but you're not doing it...so the plants aren't growing as fast as the could.

OK now I understand, the plants aren't starving for light, since I have enough light then I need more CO² to balance it out. Thanks, I'll look into some CO² generators.

While I'm on that subject, does anyone know about how long a 5lbs cylinder of CO² typically lasts. I know that there are many variables, but if you could tell me your tank size and how long yours lasts then that at least gives me some idea.

I don't really want to go out and buy all the gear only to find that a cylinder only lasts a few days or a week. Thanks everyone.

75 gallons - 5lb cylinder lasted me about 10 months, running 24/7. refills are $17 here. I rent my cylinder - $85 deposit, no rental fees, fully reimbursed if I choose to stop using it. Try welding shops for this type of deal.

Thanks malkore. The price isn't as bad as I thought and neither is the usage. Looks like I need to investigate the availability and cost in my area. Thanks again. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom