Nano Cube Question - About Filter & Carbon Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys,

So I finally got my Nano Cube 12 gallon deluxe from Dr. Fosters & Smith the other day. So far all I've done was set it up for freshwater and add the gravel and decor. I also added a 50w Marineland Stealth heater & Tetra Whisper air pump (which I also all got from Dr. Fosters & Smith for a great deal). So as I wait while my tank is in its cycling process, I've been thinking of some stuff to buy to maintain the health of the aquarium for its future inhabitants.

Aside from the basic water conditioning stuff that I have already, I found a master test kit available from Walmart (free shipping to in-store pick-up) for less than $18. The description doesn't mention what brand but the reviewers on there say it's an API test kit! I've seen these test kits at Petsmart and Petco for around $30! I'm going to order that kit from Walmart today! *Note: If you guys decide to get it from there too, there are 2 kinds listed (1 Tetra Laborett and the other has no brand indicated). However, I determined from the reviewers on both that the No Brand (which some say are API) include the test for Nitrate and the Tetra Laborett doesn't.

Here's the link: HERE

NOW, I NEED HELP WITH A FEW QUESTIONS:

1.) I read from the Nano Cube manual that I should change the sponge and activated carbon monthly. Do any of you with experience with Nano Cubes buy the OEM replacements (such as: link) or do you buy this stuff in bulk and cheaper somewhere else? If so, do you have to cut the sponges to fit correctly and add the carbon into the mesh bag? What are some methods and tips you can pass on for this?

2.) For managing PH levels, what product(s) do you recommend? I know that some of the fish I want are a bit finicky with PH levels so you're help will be appreciated.

3.) Recommendations for managing water softness or hardness?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated :p

BTW, I posted a youtube vid of my new setup. If you want to check it out, please feel free. However, keep in mind, I know that the majority of Nano Cube / Bio Cube owners do not set their tank up like mine...LOL I'm for the real basic and simple-clean-look. Although I appreciate real plants and the more "natural" look with moss and not having an airstone, I in fact, like the non-messy fun look. So here it is, the newbie setup (btw, my girlfriend made the video so I didn't choose the song)... enjoy :onfire::

YouTube - My New Nano Cube 12 Gallon DX - Cycling Day 1

This is great! I just ordered the exact same nano cube from Dr. Foster and Smith 2 days ago. It is in transit to be delivered in the next day or two. The delivery isn't going fast enough. Did you get the free stand with it and the $30 gift card to liveaquaria.com?

I am also starting up a freshwater tank and love your setup. Just like you I have all plants and stones in my tank to make it look like the bottom of a real pond or river bed. Gotta hate those neon plants and statue's!

How long are you planning on cycling the tank? I have never done the cycling thing before and have just added my fish. Never had a problem in the past but would like to do it correctly this time.

What kind of fish are you and your girlfriend planning for the tank? I have

2 blue platy's & babies
1 orange platy
2 guppies (not sure what kind)

:rolleyes:

Hi Jennybo,

I know the feeling of having to track the package in anticipation - it really can't get there fast enough! LOL... Yes, I did get the free stand and the $30 gift certificate. What a great deal! Given my current arrangement in me and my gf's apartment, we won't use the stand right now (it's just sitting in the box still). However, we might be moving soon so I might find use for it. Seems like a really nice stand though, can't beat that setup for aesthetic appeal and functionality.

In terms of cycling, most if not all aquarist would tell you do to the fishless cycling (which the steps are found on the sticky notes). However, there are other methods if you lack the patience. Mine has been sitting without fish for like 3 days. I added a rock and some media from my friend's aquarium to help with the influx of bacteria. I also added some API Stress Zyme which is suppose to be like Nutrafin Cycle. I went with the API Stress Zyme because it was priced lower ($6.99 at Petsmart) and it claims to contain millions of "live bacteria" that will aid in speeding up the development of the biological filter. I've read some criticism of how people feel about the bacteria in a bottle thing. Most would argue that they are skeptical because the bacteria need to be refrigerated to survive. However, this bottle of Stress Zyme states that "no refrigeration is needed." I would believe that statement because bacteria are resilient little bastards...LOL we'll see if it works. If not, I'm sure it won't hurt the fish and should provide at least a boost in the process.

I'm actually thinking of going to the LFS to pick up a couple of Cherry Barbs to help in the cycling of this tank. I've read from other forums online that people have success with Zebra Danios and/or Cherry Barbs (among others) since these fish are hardier than most and can withstand a wide range of water conditions. Since our tank is a bit small however, I'm going with the Cherry Barbs because I like the way they look better and I've read that they don't require as much swimming room as the Danios. Remember, to start off real slow and if you add some hardy fish, to only add a small amount (1 or 2). I believe that the guppies that you want are hardy fish too. They should suffice in helping you cycle the tank. At that point, I read that you should wait like 3 to 6 weeks with those small fish in there to add any additional inhabitants of your tank. You want to slowly build up the beneficial bacteria to handle the extra bio-load when time comes. You should also buy a freshwater master test kit. I got mine from walmart.com for less than $18 (link is in my original post above) where LFS's charge around $30. I have to wait a week or so to actually pick it up at Walmart (site-to-store free shipping) though... geez more waiting! LOL

In terms of fish for our setup. We want the following:

2 Cherry Barbs
4 to 5 Neon Tetras
2 Dwarf Cichlids (either some Rams, Apistogramma Agassizi's, or Apistogramma Cacatuoides)

Maybe I might swap something from above and add an African Dwarf Frog or Starry Night Pleco (since this particular Pleco species stays relatively small) but the main stars of the tank will be the dwarf cichlids... Cichlids are just too interesting to pass up. I'll just be responsible with the frequent water changes and water quality monitoring.

If I do get the Pleco however, I'll probably use the $30 gift card from liveaquaria.com for that. What's funny about that giftcard is that you'll use most if not all of it on the shipping alone. It's expensive to order fish online! Haha...can't let the GC go to waist though!

Let me know how your setup goes when you get it. Pictures would be nice :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Fishless cycle... just do it. It's not worth the stress on the fish (or the water waste). The tank will cycle faster anyway, and if you're planning on live plants, it's a good opportunity to get them settled and growing.

1) Don't bother changing filter pads-- you'll probably have a mini-cycle every time. That's where your biological filter is. Just rinse them in the tank water you've removed during water changes every couple of weeks or as needed. Carbon will be inactive after a little while but is sort of a personal preference whether you use it or not.

2) As a general rule, fish adapt to pH. As long as your pH isn't extreme and is stable, they'll be fine. pH swings are FAR more harmful to fish. (Hence, acclimate new arrivals appropriately.)

3) Hardness is probably fine unless your pH isn't stable (water's too soft) or your water is extreme.

The bacterial additives don't often do anything... there are a couple that are refrigerated that work, supposedly, but take careful handling. Some bacteria are extremely hardy-- not all. Sitting in a bottle subjected to wild temp swings without any "food" is not a recipe for survival... regardless, it probably won't do anything negative. You'd be better off swiping some filter material or gravel or a decoration from a healthy, established tank (or, frankly, buying live plants that have been in tanks with fish-- I cycled my old 8gal with no more than a .5 ammonia and .25 nitrite spike with live plants, which double-duty as nitrifying bacteria carriers and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate absorbers).

Hi bluerose,

Thank you for the advice! It all sounds logical and sound. BTW, do you (as a preference) use activated carbon? I suppose I like the benefits that come with using it (i.e. clearing up the water and reducing bad smells). My tank came with a mesh bag with carbon in it. It doesn't appear to be reusable but I can be wrong. When time comes, I'm thinking I can buy a quart or 1/2 gallon of activated carbon and just refill the bag and reseal it somehow?

One other thing, I read that some people use something called a Prefilter pad and just rinse that out. Does that work? I googled it and came up with this link.

As for the live plants, I think I'm going to stick to the artificial silk/plastic ones. I don't want my tank to get all grungy looking with the excessive algae growth that come with keeping live plants.

Rinsing prefilter is fine. You can use the carbon just remember carbon only lasts a week then just takes up space. Most people use only when there is a smell or something else that needs to be removed. Live plants actually help with algae because they use some of the excess nutrients. If you stick to pwc and watch water parameters and keep feeding down, then you can keep algae at bay.

:confused: Ok, still waiting and waiting and waiting for my nano cube to get here. Delivery info says it is due here by tomorrow, but I can always keep on hoping it shows up early. Yeah, because we know how fed ex is always early with their deliveries, NOT!!! This waiting is killing me! The worst is I can't even set it up and add all my fish until I do that whole cycling thing! Ugh!

:rolleyes: Went out yesterday and bought the stones for the bottom of the tank and picked up a couple of plastic plants. I still want to do live plants but I am going to concentrate on getting the tank up and running first.

:yawn: Unfortunately my 6 year old son has decided he wants the light up volcano in my tank with the fish. How do you tell a 6 year old that he can't add the volcano because it ruins the whole natural look? I guess I am going to have to add it! If I thought I could get away with hiding it behind everything it wouldn't be so bad, but my guess is, it will be smack dab in the middle of the tank. Ugh!

:confused: I bought my fish some baby dried shrimp for the first time. I crushed up a couple and fed them. Wow, they went crazy for them. I won't give it to them all the time though, just twice a week. Any other suggestions as to different things to feed them?

Haha... I can't tell you enough how agonizing it was for me to wait for that delivery! My GF and I are real bargain shoppers now of these days so patience is truly a virtue in cases like this..LOL

As for those light-up bubbly volcanoes... I'm not going to lie, I looked at them for a second.. just a split second and then dismissed it! It's too much and yeah, for a tank our size, it's going to be (like you said) "smack dab in the middle." But you're a softy and how can you say no to your little boy? Hahaha... Another solution is that you give him a simple and more traditional aquarium setup (your other tank perhaps) and stick it in his room or something with the volcano. Let mommy keep the nano cube and you'll have the best of both worlds!

BTW, if you have a Petco around you, check out their "silk plants" instead of the plastic ones. I'm really impressed with them because they're as close as you'll get without being real. They're also not too expensive. You can see them on their website and order online if you don't have a Petco around you.

As for the cycling... Well, I started with the fishless and decided to expedite the process by adding a rock and some media from my friend's established tank. I also added some API Stress Zyme to boost the bacteria. After about 4 days I added 2 hardy Cherry Barbs which both seem to have acclimated well. I also ordered a FW Master Test Kit from Walmart.com for $18 with free site-to-store shipping, which I'll be picking up today to see if my methods have paid off. So far, however, my Cherry Barbs seem to be having fun swimming around and eating the flakes I'm giving them. IMO, they don't look stressed to me (but I could just be naive with this assessment).

Check them out, the video at the bottom: HERE

Last edited:
I received my nano cube!!!! Yeah for me!!!! I went to pick up my son at school at 3pm and fed ex showed up while I was gone but my hubby was home. Don't you know he hid it on me in the cellar!!! I could have killed him! My daughter just sat at the table doing her homework laughing at the 2 of us.

I set up the tank, added my rocks on the bottom, a couple of plastic plants and some larger rocks. It is officially my first day of cycling!! This week is going to go by so slow.....my son is already saying to put the fish in the tank.

I have seen the silk plants and I do like the way they look. The only problem with them is after a while of taking them out of the tank to clean them, the leaves come unglued to the plastic stems. I have one in my little tank now. I do love the little plant you have in the very front of the tank on the right hand side. I am going to see if I can find me a couple of them.

I'm hoping that my son forgets about the whole volcano thing because he is so excited that the tank is here. He will probably just remember it next week or the week after.

Are you going to change the bulbs in the tank? I was thinking about some sunglo bulbs but am not sure yet. I have about a week to decide. LOL!

I don't think my hubby will allow my son or daughter to have a fishtank in their rooms, because if it isn't down where I can see it, no one else will clean it!

Attachments

• new tank day 1.jpg
    new tank day 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 154
Yay you got your tank! Congrats! I'm glad to hear how enthusiastic you are to have a new aquarium. I didn't even get back in to the interest of keeping fish only up until now. I had fish as a kid and there was a big gap of almost 15 years or so. To be honest with you, I feel like a kid again!...LOL

Anyway, wow, I didn't know that the silk plants would fall apart like that. Guess I'll just have to be gentle with them come cleaning time or replace them after a while. In terms of the bulbs, I was wondering about changing them to better suit the freshwater setting? I noticed that this Nano Cube on other sites (not Dr. Fosters & Smith) had the option to upgrade to the bulbs geared toward FW. However, I do like the intensity of the stock bulbs (even so they're probably meant for marine life) and how they give off a blue hue. I feel like the blue hue makes colors really pop. I'm not sure, however, if the bulb would really matter since I'm not keeping real plants in the tank or if the stock bulbs would be problematic toward FW tropical fish? Do you (or anyone reading this) can give some insight on this? @Jennybo are you going to change the bulbs? I personally don't want to.

As for the small plant in the front of my tank that you mentioned... It's actually a silk plant too. I believe it's by the Betta fish section of Petco. I got 2 of them and they have a really neat low-profile. They run $1.99 each... not a bad deal. If you have a Petsmart around you, I think they have the best selection (over Petco) of fake driftwood and caves (by the brand Top Fin) for your center piece (that's if you're even looking of course). Just a thought, larger real rocks and driftwood are nice but I think since they're not usually hollow like the fake ones, they'll displace more water and may alter the parameters of your water.

Good luck with the cycling... keep me posted :)

Ok... so as you see I got the tank and set it up with that filter running. Has it been 7 days of cycling yet??? (Just like when you are a kid: Are we there yet, are we there yet? LOL) I think it has been over 15 years for me since my last fishtank. I was in high school and bought 3 Jack Dempsey's. One at the other and then the other 2 grew to be about 7 inches long and had to be seperated. I was feeding them regular sized goldfish feeders weekly. They were beautiful. I ended up giving them to a pet store when I went away to boot camp. I bet they got a pretty penny for them.

I went to a pet store in Massachusetts called Pet Supplies Plus. They had a bunch of different plants. I picked up a couple of the plastic ones. They were really cool looking. Take a look at the pic. I did find a couple of silk ones but i didn't see any like your little plant. I will check at Petsmart by the betta's. I really like it.

:yawn: I broke down today and bought a really funky shaped drift wood. I have it soaking in water to make sure all is safe and clean. As soon as I put it in the tank I will take a pic to show you. Oh no, no room for that silly volcano. I am one mean mom for not letting her 6 year old son add the stupid thing. ;)

I have read a little about changing the bulb and it should be from 6,700K-10,000K for freshwater growing plants. I think I will attempt that in the future, the far future. Never done that before. I would like to change the bulbs but I think I won't rush it. The fish are pretty good at adapting to their surroundings.

I bought some water test strips today to hold me over until I get my good water test kit. Here are my readings:

Ph: 6.8
Alkalinity: 50
Hardness: 100
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25

Not quite sure what it all means but it looks pretty good except for my Nitrate. It is almost at that level that says do a 1/3 water change.

Attachments

• new plant 1.jpg
    new plant 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 78
  • new plant 2.jpg
    new plant 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 79
  • new plant 1 and 2.jpg
    new plant 1 and 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
I'm not sure why you're mentioning 7 days; cycling does not have anything to do with length of time, but development of bacteria.

Right now, you need to know your ammonia levels, and the test strips don't tell you that. How are you dosing ammonia (I'm assuming you're doing a fishless cycle)?

Test your source water for nitrates-- if you have 25ppm right out of the tap, then know you aren't going to lower your water further than that without using RO/DI water or possibly live plants. You'll need to keep an eye on the nitrates. (I usually have no more than ~10, usually ~5ppm nitrate in my tank-- lots of plants suck up the extra and keep my system very stable. With anubias and java fern and ghost shrimp to keep them clean, they're no work at all.)

I gave in today and added my platy's to the tank. Everything seems to be fine with the water levels. I only have the test strips because I am waiting for my test kit to come in the mail. I did bring my water to be tested but they used the test strips to test it. Pretty crappy of them.

As for the plants, I am dying to try live plants. I know they are suppose to be easy to grow, but I don't have much for a green thumb. I am so afraid I am going to wipe out the whole tank if I attempt them. I'm also afraid to buy any kind of shrimp of bottom feeders because I allow my fry to hide in the rocks at the bottom of the tank. I don't want them to be eaten.

I also added the drift wood to that tank and have decided I don't think I like it. They had a fake tree trunk at the fish store that was really cool looking with bunches of roots coming out and a hollow piece of tree trunk for the fish to hide. I may go back and buy that. I haven't decided yet.

I have also noticed that the lights keep the tank at 76 degree's. That sounds so warm. Is that too warm for guppies, platy's and molly's?

Also, the flow coming out of the filter seems extremely strong, is there any way to face the nozzle to keep the current down a bit. My baby fishies are flying all over the tank and I don't think it is by choice! :taped:

You NEED an ammonia test kit. NEED... or your 'baby fishies' will be dead. Since you've chosen to do a fish-in cycle, be ready for daily ~50% water changes for a few weeks.

76 degrees, if stable, is fine. Lights shouldn't be on 24/7 though so if the water temp drops without the lights, make sure your heater keeps the temp stable.

Yeah the stock lights are pretty intense in my nano cube. I had to lower the temp on my heater to 77~78 degrees because when it was at 80 the light would make the water jump up to around ~82 or so. I guess the built in fans really don't help much or do they? I dunno... Well I've been doing my PWC's and tested the water with the API Master Test Kit and got these readings: Ammonia=0ppm, Nitrite=0ppm, Nitrate=0ppm, PH=7.5. I think I need to get some PH down or something next time I'm at the LFS. I still have the 2 Cherry Barbs in there for 7 days now and they are still swimming strong and eating well. I'm just going to let nature take its course and hopefully the bacteria will manifest and show me some results soon.

As for the current shooting out the power head nozzle... I'll have to admit, it is pretty strong. However, the barbs seem to enjoy it and swim against it deliberately and periodically. After they've adapted to the tank they know what areas of the tank are cool for just floating around where the current is weak. However, I do wish there was a way to reduce the current though. But I don't think it's a big deal at this point.

Back
Top Bottom