Nano style 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a ten gallon aquarium and I have never done much with it. Right now there are no fish in it but there are about a million snails and a couple pieces of dw. I think it would be cool to try using fish and plants that are normally in nano aquariums because it would make the space feel a lot larger.

I have a fifteen watt light right now and I would rather not replace it bc I don't want to spend too much money on this so I'm looking for plants that will do well under this lighting. I was thinking about incorporating Java fern, baby tears, and dwarf hair grass somewhere but I haven't really considered their requirements. I would like to use plants that have small leaves and are kind of detailed if that makes any sense. I'm also looking for a variety of color and texture. Any suggestions on plants would be helpful. ?

As for the stock I would definitely like to have cherry shrimp and maybe some kind of nano fish that schools. I was interested in scarlet badis but I'm not sure if I want them or not :/ something that I realized could be a problem is that I have a filter that would suck up the shrimp and idk what to use cover it with to prevent that from that from happening.

I realize that this is not vary planned out and that's because this is just a possibility I was thinking of for what to do with this tank. I'm trying to figure out what my options are if I make it nano style so any ideas would be helpful :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

they make sponges that fit over the filter in take to prevent fry and shrimp from getting sucked up. What kind of filter are you using?

they make sponges that fit over the filter in take to prevent fry and shrimp from getting sucked up. What kind of filter are you using?

I'm pretty sure it's an aqueon quiet flow not positive though ? got it a while ago here's a picture of the intake ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420177033.724814.jpg

BTW I have some scarlet badis. I really like them but sometimes they will only eat frozen or live foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, daphnia and white worms.

Yeah I heard that they were a bit picky when it comes to food and that's why I wasn't sure if I wanted to get them

I feed my fish mostly frozen anyway so for me its not a big deal. What is a huge deal is that I can't get a hold of any females. Only males because they have better color and maybe its a conspiracy so the average person doesn't breed them. Who knows?

If you check my profile I am running two 10g planted tanks.

DHG and Baby Tears are both High Light. Dwarf Sag might be better.

CPDs Celestial Pearl Danios are ideal for nano tanks.

Other possibilities:

Ember Tetras
Micro Rasbora species

Scarlet Badis are NOT social. They are like tiny Bettas. Usually only room for 1 or 2 per tank unless it's heavily planted.

Excuse the music... Old vid of my 10g http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay thanks! The Galaxy danios are really cool. Do yours spend a lot of time hiding because I heard they are shy and tend to spend a lot of time in the plants. Also would I have to establish the shrimp colony before adding them? Would they go after baby shrimp?

Sorry celestial pearl danios I always mix up the two names

I have a lot of CPDs in my 16g, very active, good color. Fun little fish to watch!

Attachments

206.1 KB · Views: 65
Once the filter problem is sorted out you should get 10-15 cherry shrimp or another tiny shrimp that's cool are blueberry shrimp. Then later add a school of maybe 10 celestial pearl danios or 7 sawbwa rasboras.

Okay cool I think I will do some kind of shrimp and the CPD's in terms of feeding are there any special requirements

I always have a few CPDs in view. They all come out for food.
I believe having plenty of floating plants and a dark background as well as heavy planting encourages them to be much bolder.

Mine never hide, silly things! I feed them a good flake, just crumbled. They nibble at algae wafters I drop in for the cories. For things like freeze dried tubifex and daphnia I put a small amount of tank water in a glass dish, add the food, and stir. I then shoot it into the tank with a syringe since they won't eat off the surface.

Okay cool I think I will do some kind of shrimp and the CPD's in terms of feeding are there any special requirements

I crush Omega One Color Flakes and Hikari Micro Pellets up between my fingers.

Frozen baby Brine Shrimp are their favorite though. Live BBS are harder for me to find, but a great treat.

I'm too lazy to hatch them.

Okay cool thanks! And the shrimp will just eat what ever is leftover? Can you do a couple different types of shrimp in one tank? Sorry for all the questions I have never kept shrimp ?

Okay cool thanks! And the shrimp will just eat what ever is leftover? Can you do a couple different types of shrimp in one tank? Sorry for all the questions I have never kept shrimp ?

If you mix diff Neocaridina they will cross.

I'd start with RCS. CRS are more sensitive. There are plenty of colors, but if you mix same genus the hybrids revert back to clear or brown wild type.

Ok yeah I'll just do the cherry shrimp for a while and see if I can add anything later

Back
Top Bottom